Methods of diagnosis of thrombocytosis in children
The priority of the diagnosisthrombocytosis in childhood - is to establish the nature of the disease - primary or secondary. To send a doctor towards a correct diagnosis can be complaints and symptoms, as well as the data of instrumental and laboratory examination of the patient in the hospital.
Standard methods for biological researchallow to eliminate the most common causes of thrombocytosis in childhood: infectious, inflammatory and haematological (mainly iron deficiency).
Imaging methods of investigation(X-ray, computed tomography, ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging), depending on the obtained results of the survey will help to eliminate the cause of the tumor disease. In case of suspicion of primary thrombocytosis is held complete hematological examination with obligatory inclusion myelogram and bone marrow biopsy.
Diagnosis of thrombocytosis in childhood:
- definition of blood formula
- definition of reactive protein C and values of erythrocyte sedimentation rate
- determining the level of circulating red blood cells and iron saturation coefficient of transferrin and ferritin
- definition coagulation prothrombin level
- setting time of activated cephalin and fibrinogen
- determination of antibodies in suspected viral and parasitic nature of the disease
- determining the concentration of vitamins (E, group B)
- ultrasound of the abdominal cavity
- chest X-ray
- definition of blood count of the patient closest relatives
- bone marrow myelogram with cytology
- Molecular biology of the bone marrow to the definition of medullary karyotype
- determining the level of thrombopoietin in blood (a hormone that stimulates the maturation of megakaryocytes)
- Platelet aggregation study
- Survey thrombosis (recommended to avoid the risk factors add thrombosis)
The duration of thrombocytosis is alsodiagnostic argument in the case of transient thrombocytosis, which regresses in the treatment of the underlying cause, not necessarily to carry out all inspections. Conversely, in the case of chronic thrombocytosis, with no apparent cause is conducted hematological examination.
Reactive thrombocytosis always well toleratedand only in exceptional cases by the thrombotic effects. Only provided therapy - a treatment of the causes and there is no indications for antiplatelet therapy - drugs that prevent platelets from sticking together and form blood clots, besides antiplatelet destroy existing blood clots. Primary thrombocytosis is much rarer defeat than reactive thrombocytosis, so diagnosis is carried out exceptions.