Arachnoid cyst - the so-called cerebrospinal fluid cyst. Liquor - a cerebrospinal fluid I?.
Primary (true) arachnoid cyst - congenital formation, secondary arise after suffering meningitis, surgical intervention, Marfan syndrome, agenesis of the corpus callosum.
Arachnoid cyst is four times more common in men than in women.
Most arachnoid cysts are formed in the middle cranial fossa, the outside of the temporal lobes of the brain.
Arachnoid cysts either asymptomatic or manifested before the age of 20, and the nature and severity of symptoms depend on the location and size of the brush, making it difficult to diagnose.
Arachnoid cysts may be accompanied by. Headache, nausea and vomiting, ataxia and hemiparesis, hallucinations, convulsive disorders, mental disorders, etc. (often dominated by cerebral symptoms associated with secondary hydrocephalus, rarely - focal symptoms, including those with traumatic rupture of the cyst with the formation hygroma) . Spinal arachnoid cysts can mimic herniated disc.
Arachnoid cysts are found in 4% of the population. Symptoms have only 20% of cases, and often associated with secondary hydrocephalus.
Arachnoid cysts are usually identified and differentiated from other types of cysts under magnetic resonance imaging, often as a "discovery" during examination for another reason.
To avoid increasing and new cysts,doctors must clearly understand and treat the underlying cause of their occurrence. Therefore, a thorough examination of the patient is carried out for circulatory disorders, infections, autoimmune diseases.
So, if you suspect a brain cyst, except for magnetic resonance imaging, the following kinds of examination and diagnosis:
- Doppler examination of the vessels of the head and neckIt helps detect vasoconstriction providing arterial blood brain. Lack of blood supply can lead to the focal death of brain substance and the appearance of cysts.
- Heart Research. The brain can not be sufficiently achieved blood due to arrhythmias or heart failure.
- Analysis of blood clotting and cholesterol. Increase in blood cholesterol concentrations and increased clotting - the main causes clogging of blood vessels of the brain, followed by the formation of cysts. This problem is easily solved with the help of modern medicine.
- blood pressure monitoring. Episodic ups pressure - a common cause of strokes and posleinsultnyh cysts. Monitor - a small priborchik, which during the day is always the patient and record his blood pressure to a memory card. The data is then read by a computer and give your doctor a complete picture of the pressure for a day.
- Blood tests for infections and autoimmune diseases of the nervous system. Are performed in cases of suspected neuroinfections, arachnoiditis, multiple sclerosis.