The oldest and most common wayincrease vision in myopia. Everyone knows that the weak myopia (up to -3.0 diopters) points tend not to appoint for continuous wear. They are used only when necessary because glasses restoring visual acuity, eye muscles weaken, and this contributes to myopia.
With more than 3.0 diopters of myopia glasses prescribed for continuous wear, because the vision is reduced to the extent when it is impossible to do without glasses.
At high myopia (greater than 6.0 diopters) at a choice of power lenses the doctor prescribes is not fully correct, and the so-called correction on portability, ie, such that the patient suffers. At the same time, and he sees a man in glasses is not 100%. Intolerance full spectacle correction at the short-sightedness is related to many factors, but most importantly - a significant reduction in the image due to the spectacle lens.
It's hard to get used to the combination of pointsmyopia with astigmatism (this is a deviation from the shape of the cornea sphere and approximation to the shape of the ellipsoid). At the same time appointed complex glasses with cylindrical lenses. Serious problem and correction of anisometropia glasses (two different optical power of the eye).
Intolerance full correction in this caseassociated with the formation of the retinal images of different sizes, that the brain is not able to merge into a single entity. The brain itself is struggling with this defect, rejecting bad seeing eye in the direction (and therefore develops strabismus) or decreasing visual acuity in one eye (developing so-called "lazy eye" or amblyopia). This situation leads to problems requiring long-term treatment to restore vision.
Lazy eye is also developing in young childrenpreschool age with incomplete high myopia correction. Low vision in this case can not be restored, and the success of treatment is better than before is assigned full vision correction.
It should be noted that most of these problems successfully solved contact lenses. However, it does not exclude the use of glasses as an additional means of vision correction.
A contact lens, unlike glasses,located directly on the surface of the eyeball and is separated from the front surface of the eye only layer tears. Through close refractive indices of the material from which the contact lens is made, tear and cornea, eye lens forms with a single optical system.
In this system, the eye muscles are working as ahealthy eye and occurs workout weakened accommodation, which is one of the reasons for the progression of myopia. Thus, the contact lenses are not only with a means of correcting myopia, but also a means of treatment.
As a means of correction contact lenses also have a number of significant advantages over glasses:
- Eye tolerated any force of contact lenses, thethere, it is possible and permissible complete or nearly complete correction of myopia of any degree. The highest degree of myopia, which I had to be corrected by contact lenses, was -35.0 diopters. Vision lenses was 50% of normal, and the glasses 2%. The reason for the incomplete vision with contact lenses was retinal damage caused by myopia.
- The lenses reduce the image of objects much smaller than the glasses, so things are always larger lenses.
- When two different eye myopia is less than the differenceat a rate of two images on the retina, so that you can fully corrected both eyes, get a full sight of both eyes (binocular) successfully treat amblyopia and strabismus, and for timely correction to prevent their development.
- The lens is wider than the field of view of the glasses moresharpness, contrast and three-dimensional images. Patients with mild to moderate myopia who use contact lenses, tell a different quality of life in lenses than with glasses.
- When astigmatism using special (toric) lenses, which provide a higher visual acuity and better tolerability compared to glasses.
- Available now for short-sighted and lenses that change eye color. They simply improve mood. A retreat in good spirits and disease.
What is the danger of the lens?
When contact lenses are so good, meansDoes this mean that all problems are solved, and the search for new materials finished? Of course not. In recent years, appeared on the market, new developments in the field of contact lens.
Modern contact lenses made easyselect, they are better tolerated. However, all this has led to excessive courage of doctors and patients. Sometimes lenses purchased in optics and in the shops, even without selection. It is harmful and dangerous.
How to avoid complications?
- The shape of the lens, its type, the optical power, material parameters, care products should always be selected individually with the necessary specialist visiting contact lens cabinet view.
- It requires compliance with the rules of use of contact lenses. This, above all, the requirements of hygiene and proper care.
- When the discomfort, redness of the eyes, all feelings of pain or fatigue you need to visit a doctor who you picked the lens, and in the absence of complaints seen by a doctor at least twice a year.
- We recommend using a modern lens, rather thanold generation lenses. The new silicone hydrogel lenses provide a sufficient supply of oxygen to the eye. A frequent planned replacement lenses, or one-day lenses can avoid deposits on the lens surface of the metabolic products of tears.
Modern lenses also solve one of the majorproblems of ophthalmology, which is considered a "disease of the century", the so-called "dry eye syndrome". The reasons for its occurrence are many: the conditioned air and the bad environment with dusty and smoky air, a computer (sitting at a computer person blink 4 times less).
It is any eye surgery, any eye drops... and including contact lenses. To prevent dry eyes in contact lenses, new materials with wetting effect in recent years, special droplet applied continuously retaining moisture in the eye, the search continues for new methods of combating this disease.
Other methods of correction
One of the most widely promoted methods today is the laser vision correction. It has its advantages and disadvantages, developed and improved, like a contact lens. However, the operation is an operation. Its results are not always fully predictionsazuem and, most importantly, there is no turning back, eyes to the state that was before the operation.
Also, be aware that changing the shape of the cornea, even the most modern method is not possible to get "smoothness of the surface of a living eye, created by nature."
Therefore, even in the preparation of 100 percentsuffers image quality and almost always a slight ghosting and Multi items, haloes around lights (night merges into one big spot light from the headlights of vehicles on the road).
The effect of the operation is calculated on specialprograms, but living eye makes its own adjustments, and after surgery is sometimes necessary to use glasses or contact lenses. And it happens that both does not help. In short, daring to surgery, the patient should be aware of the existing risks.
Today, there are other possibilities,allowing a person to wake up in the morning myopic sighted. Firstly, it is contact lenses that are recommended not to shoot at night. However, most Russian experts do not support this mode of wearing due to a greater risk of developing serious complications.
There are also special lenses that put pressure oncornea and change its shape during a night's sleep. The effect of this exposure time (if you stop wearing the lenses myopia restored), and the risk of complications, and there is not very justified. But, in contrast to surgical correction, in which case it is possible to "go back" to the state it was in before the start of the method.
Tips short-sighted people
Observe the rules of hygiene. Remember that the eyes need a rest and good working conditions. Try to visit an ophthalmologist, spend a fundus examination with a wide pupil to identify asymptomatic cracks and tears and conduct laser coagulation time.
By the way it is helpful to know that laser photocoagulation should be minimal, gentle. Do not settle for a massive "preventive" laser coagulation, which is not only effective, but safe.
When choosing the type of correction, remember that it is yourselection, and the doctor only helps you do it. Please read carefully the advantages and disadvantages of each method. Be literate, making a decision. Choosing one or another method of correction, keep the data you advice, and timely visit a doctor.