Arthritis is a disease of the joints basedwhich is an inflammatory process. Manifested by pain in the knee and difficulty in flexion and extension legs. It may become chronic and lead to disability, so it is important to begin a comprehensive treatment as soon as possible after diagnosis.
The development of knee pathology
Arthritis Knee arthritis - a pathology of the joints, which can be developed as an independent disease or be a consequence of other diseases that occur as a result of complications.
The structure of the knee
The knee joint is made up of bones,intra-elements (meniscus, cartilage, etc.), and ligamentous apparatus of the synovial membrane (lining of the joint). Inside there is a small amount of fluid acts as a lubricant.
The mechanism in the joint pathology
The main cause swelling and increase in volumethe knee joint is the accumulation inside the large amount of liquid. Finding no way out, it puts pressure on the inner wall of the joint and causes pain. Furthermore, in this liquid are formed in large quantities irritants intraarticular structures and triggers production of additional fluid, closing the vicious circle. It is also possible subsidence in the joint of uric acid crystals in the form of small needles causing microdamages intraarticular structures.
Causes of arthritis of the knee
Arthritis most commonly caused by the following reasons:
- Inflammatory rheumatic diseases in which inflammation is triggered by intra malfunctioning immune system.
- Osteoarthritis - a disease of the musculoskeletal system, characteristic for people engaged in heavy physical labor, and athletes.
- Posttraumatic phenomena - stupid leg injuries, sprains or ligament ruptures, and intra-articular structures.
- Baker's cyst - a fluid intra education filled with synovial fluid. It may fester and cause severe inflammation.
- Infection - pathological microorganisms that can trigger inflammation. In identifying the pathogen and the selection of the proper treatment arthritis disappears without a trace.
- Against the background of a general disease. Cancer, AIDS, tuberculosis and some other diseases can be accompanied by arthritis.
Development of the disease contribute to the following factors:
- increased load on the knee joint;
- metabolic disorders;
- subcooling knee.
Variety of diseases
There are several forms of arthritis:
- jet - occurs when not cured in time of infectious diseases;
- Rheumatoid - formed on the background of rheumatic diseases, accompanied by severe pain prolonged, can cause a number of complications;
- acute - the result of the impact of internal or external stimulus infection, can occur in the form of pus;
- infectious - develops in contact with the joint fungal or viral infection through blood, through surgery or intra-articular injection;
- posttraumatic - occurs as a result of mechanical damage to the knee joint.
Symptoms and treatment of arthritis of the knee
Visually knee joint affected by arthritis,very different from the healthy. On the skin there are lumps, swelling and redness. For the affected area is characterized by fever and a small deformation of the joint due to involuntary contractions of leg muscles, located near the hearth of inflammation.
Pain arising first during exercise, gradually transformed into a permanent condition. Pain reaches a maximum value when fully unbent or bent knee.
The degree of disease development
Symptoms vary depending on the stage of the disease:
- 1 degree - slight pain might be a limitation of the mobility of the knee;
- 2 degree - increased pain, difficulty of movement, swelling, redness and swelling of the knee area;
- 3 degree (deforming) - severe pain, causing persistent muscle spasm, resulting in can be a knee strain.
Treatment of arthritis of the knee
Treatment is prescribed depending on the shape andstage of the disease. In most cases, prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs that reduce swelling and pain medication. Sometimes it can be administered non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, which are introduced into the joint. Along with medication recommended a balanced diet and limit physical activity. Individually may be appointed wellness exercises for the knee joint.