Advises PhD, Assistant of the Department of Clinical Pharmacology of the Voronezh State Medical Academy. NN Burdenko Olga Mubarakshina.
- Is it true that diabetics need not all vitamins? And prophylactic multivitamin for them completely irrelevant?
- In diabetes the metabolism. Therefore, the need for certain vitamins and minerals increases. In addition, many patients, doctors recommend low-calorie diet. For weight reduction contributes to improving well-being for patients with diabetes. A limitation of the amount of food inevitably results in a lack of vitamins.
This allows for some manufacturersmultivitamin preparations and produce special multivitamin complexes. However, we must not think that ordinary multivitamins are useless for diabetics. As a rule, such statements are the representatives of pharmaceutical companies that advertise their goods. If you buy a special complex for some reason is not possible, you can drink any multivitamin. The main thing that were essential for diabetics components in their composition.
- What is it?
- In diabetes the body's cellsdestroyed and faster aging. Thus the need for antioxidant vitamins. The most important of them - vitamin E. It slows down aging and protects cells and is necessary for the metabolism and the immune system. Recently, scientists have concluded that vitamin E must be taken for life for diabetics.
Also important vitamin C, which quicklydestroyed and do not always contain sufficient amounts of food. One of the problems diabetics are "weak" vessels. That lack of a fortress of the vascular wall often leads to eye problems. Vitamin C increases the elasticity and strength of blood vessels. It plays an important role in maintaining the body's resistance to infection, increases resistance to toxic substances, overheating, cooling and oxygen deficiency.
The need for vitamin C in patients with diabetes is slightly higher than that of ordinary people, and is about 90-100 mg. However, large doses of vitamin C - 1 g - diabetics are contraindicated.
In addition, there must be sufficient for diabetesof B vitamins - primarily B1, B6 and B12. These vitamins include high enough doses to new drugs for the treatment of neurological complications of diabetes "Milgamma" and "Neyromultivit". For normal metabolism are also important biotin, pantothenic and folic acid.
And another vitamin-like compound would like to mention specifically. It lipoic acid, without which it can not be normal metabolism of carbohydrates and fats.
- The composition of any multivitamin complexes include lipoic acid?
- It is included in a multivitamin means"Complivit". However, in this complex lipoic acid contained in a fairly low dosage. Therefore, this vitamin-like compound often used in the form of self-medication. Lipoic acid is produced under the brand "Valium" names "Thioctacid", "Tiogamma" "Espa-lipon". These medicines are used recently, but they have already proved themselves as an effective tool for the treatment of complications of diabetes.
- Which micronutrients are important for diabetics?
- Particularly relevant chromium, zinc and selenium. In children and younger patients with type I diabetes insufficient intake of zinc can lead to stunted growth. With a shortage of zinc decreased barrier function of the skin and reduces resistance to infection. This is dangerous for diabetics who are prone to frequent infections.
At deficiency of chromium can be aggravatedinsensitivity to insulin - one of the key mechanisms for the development of type II diabetes. In addition, chromium reduces cravings for sweet foods. A sufficient intake of chromium from food or as part of a multivitamin helps the patients to comply with the necessary diet.
Selenium - one of the most important components of the antioxidant system that protects cells.
- In recent years, multivitamin complexes with extracts of medicinal plants. Can you recommend diabetics to any of them?
- Oh sure. It is proved that the level of blood sugar reduces extracts adaptogens - ginseng, Siberian Ginseng, Rhodiola rosea. For example, ginseng is part of the complex "Revaytl Ginseng Plus", "Doppelgerts ginseng", "Dinamizan" and "Gerimaks". These multivitamins may be recommended for patients who have diabetes is not combined with hypertension, increased nervous irritability and insomnia.
The most effective comprehensive diabetes therapy including hypoglycemic drugs, vitamins and adaptogens.