To begin with the doctor will conduct a fullophthalmologic examination: check visual acuity, explores the visual field (perimetry) will determine the intraocular pressure (tonometry), examine the fundus of the eye (ophthalmoscopy), will conduct a study of the anterior segment of the eye (biomicroscopy). They are used as additional methods of examination - refractometers, Oftalmometres etc.
Sometimes the survey revealed other eye diseases, which are the cause of reduced vision.
It should be borne in mind - to cure cataractsusing the medication (drops, ointments, tablets) and exercise - not. Formed as a clouding of the lens does not dissolve. The only thing that can make drugs - to slow down the progression of the process. If the cataract is so strong visual impairment that it interferes with work and reduces the quality of life, it's time to remove the damaged lens. Operation - the only way to once and for all get rid of the cataract. Over 90% of patients after surgery restore normal vision.
At the time when the operationCataract is not necessary to wait for its maturing - it is a common misconception! In recent decades, due to the introduction of many modern technologies, modification technique operation, improvement of microsurgical instruments, indications for surgery were significantly expanded. In addition, it became possible to carry out cataract surgery with virtually no complications.
Currently, the operation can be carried out at a visual acuity of 0.1-0.2 (in some cases, visual acuity can be higher if necessary to keep the professional activity).
Removing darkened lens (cataract surgery) is a "pearl" of the modern eye microsurgery. Currently, there are several types of lens removal operations:
- Extracapsular cataract extraction;
- Intracapsular cataract extraction;
- Ultrasonic phacoemulsification;
- Laser cataract surgery (laser phacoemulsification).
Type of operation is determined in each case, with all the indications and contraindications. In bilateral cataract eye initially operate with lower visual acuity.
Blocked darkened lens you need something to replace it. There are three options:
- Intraocular lenses, implanted into the eye during opera tio cataract. They are called artificial lens.
- Thick glasses to be worn after the removal of darkened lens.
- Hard or soft contact lenses. They can be worn all day and shoot only at night.
Although intraocular lenses are the most popular anddesirable for patients, they have their own advantages and disadvantages. When some of the common diseases and diseases of the eye intraocular lenses are contraindicated. The issue of replacing the natural lens can be altered artificially solved only optometrist based on survey data.
The postoperative period
Following the cataract surgeryafter a few days of hospitalization, the patient is discharged from hospital. The recovery period takes 1.5-2 months, during which the need to:
- bury special medicines in the eye,
- wearing a bandage, protecting the eyes from dirt, water, smoke,
- constantly observed ophthalmologist.
Advise patients to speed up the healing process of the eye and prevent the displacement of artificial lens:
- Do not sleep on the side of the operated eye;
- Do not tilt your head down;
- Do not lift weights more than 5 kg;
- Do not drive a car;
- Do not rub the eye and did not press him;
- Wear sunglasses;
- Avoid soap and water in the eye;
- When washing hair tilt your head back, not forward.
Prevention of cataract development is its early detection, conduct proper and timely treatment, and perform all the doctor's instructions.