Endometriosis - a benign overgrowthcloth-like uterine body shell (endometrium) outside its usual location. This disease is today - one of the leading women's genitals diseases.
According to the head of the department of operative gynecology Scientific Center for Obstetrics, Gynecology and Perinatology, this disease affects about 15% of women of reproductive age.
The name of the disease comes from the word"Endometrium". We already know that it is the uterine lining. It lines the uterine cavity and rejected each month during menstruation in the form of blood, if fertilization has not occurred. In the case of endometriosis, uterine endometrial foci may be located in different organs of the female body.
By location distinguish genital (94-96%) and extragenital endometriosis. Genital divided into inner and outer.
- For internal endometriosis include muscular uterine body shell - adenomyosis, the outer - endometriosis, cervical, vaginal, perineal, fallopian tubes, ovaries, peritoneum.
- By Extragenital (located outside of the genitals) include endometriosis umbilicus, scars, intestines, bladder, lungs and other organs.
Factors that influence the emergence and subsequent development of endometriosis, are divided into two large groups - raise and lower the risk of disease.
Factors that increase the risk of endometriosis:
- genetic predisposition;
- excess levels of estrogen;
- age over 35 years;
- reduction in the duration of the menstrual cycle;
- increase in menstrual blood loss;
- abuse of alcohol and caffeine;
- metabolic disorders, particularly obesity;
- the effect of chemicals.
In addition, recently put forwardthe assumption that the dioxin contamination affects the increase in the incidence of endometriosis. It is known that this illness is much more likely to affect women living in the developed world. Very high concentrations of dioxin were found in the breast milk of women in Belgium, where, according to statistics, endometriosis is one of the first places in the world in terms of prevalence.
Factors that reduce the risk of endometriosis include:
• hormonal contraceptives;
• The use of an intrauterine device;
• smoking (however, do not take thisinformation literally, indeed, according to foreign statistics, the number of non-smoking patients with endometriosis is greater than the number of smokers; but this does not mean that in order to prevent the disease is necessary to immediately start smoking or continue - with greater intensity).