All diseases, without exception, are dangerous and unpleasant: something more, something less. The severity is determined by not only the course of the disease or complications. Difficulties may be in its inability to quickly differentiate among similar diseases. And when the bill goes to the clock, the correct diagnosis saves the patient's life. Such diseases include meningitis tricky.
The disease affects the spinal soft shelland brain, causing them persistent inflammation. He was subject to all the meninges, vascular bundles of brain ventricles, intrathecal brain structure.
Onset - very rapid and sudden, symptoms similar to ordinary flu. medical task - to quickly "learn" a terrible disease, and the patient's task - time to see a doctor for help.
Meningitis Pathogens get into the meningesa variety of ways: through the lymph or blood when inflammation center is located close to major vessels or localized in the head. Possible contact transmission path - the close proximity to the focus of inflammation of the brain membranes: purulent otitis media, sinusitis, mastoiditis, brain abscess, and so on. The probability of infection exists in open cranial and spinal injuries. If we are talking about meningococcal meningitis, the very meningococcus dwells in our throat and being transmitted through saliva, causing a sore throat. If the body is weakened, the immune system is not able to provide adequate protection for the body, while meningococcus blood enters the nervous system, promoting inflammation of the membranes. The most common route of transmission - airborne.
Symptoms of meningitis
Since the ingress of infection and the body toFirst manifestations held from 2 to 10 days. Symptoms of growing, becoming more and more difficult each time. It is difficult to distinguish from the common cold or flu. Symptoms of meningitis depends on its cause. There are types:
- bacterial - causing serious complications can lead to death (meningococcus, pneumococcus, etc.);
- Viral - after viral infections, such as mumps;
The manifestations of viral meningitis depend on the source, it has caused. Typical meningeal symptoms only 5-7 days after onset of the disease and are less bright.
TB meningitis often begins with a high fever, and after 2-3 days opens vomiting and severe headaches begin. Meningeal symptoms manifest themselves only for 4-5 hours.
Meningococcal meningitis begins with a suddenheat and chill. For the first 2 days on the body appear small dark cherry eruption, disappearing on the 3-4th day. If the disease is to blame pneumococcus, meningitis precedes the beginning of pneumonia, otitis media, sinusitis. This type is no less dangerous to its lightning-fast development (only 2 hours), often resulting in convulsions, disorders of consciousness.
There is a common symptoms, which suggests possible presence of meningeal inflammation.
It exhibits symptoms of meningitis in the following order:
- In any nature infection starts severe headache, accompanied by nausea and intense vomiting.
- At a temperature of 39 ° C there is a weakness, severe pain in the neck and across the back, especially painful when moving the head.
- Seizures of any kind.
- Drowsiness, confusion, delirium.
- The purple-red rash on the body or petechial hemorrhages.
Such well-known meningitis syndrome
meningitis syndrome includes cerebral characteristic symptoms of meningitis. Syndrome consists of a number of symptoms:
- headache - a strong, arching and covering the whole head, with increasing traffic, loud sounds, light. It is caused by infection of the meninges, increased intracranial pressure;
- tension or stiffness in the muscles back of the head - the patient can not bend your head;
- the patient bends the knees and hips and straighten them can not (Kernig symptom);
- tilt the head to the chest or pressing on Pubic symphysis involuntarily bent legs (Brudzinskogo symptoms);
- babies straining and bulging fontanelle pulses, if you take a child's armpits, he throws back his head back and pull the legs to the abdomen (Lessazha symptom);
- if the knock on the arc of the cheekbones, facial muscles is reduced (spondylitis symptom);
- tapping on the skull causes severe pain (Pulatova symptom);
- with pressure on the external auditory canal pain is felt (Mendel symptom);
- possible: blurred vision and hearing loss, nystagmus (trembling of eyeballs), ptosis (drooping of the century), strabismus, paresis of the facial muscles;
- increasing agitation, hallucinations, motor activity or stupor, lethargy, coma.