Surgical intervention in ovarian cancer
Surgery is the firststep in the treatment of ovarian cancer. Usually required to produce a hysterectomy, that is, excision of the uterus, removal of both ovaries, the fallopian tubes that connect the ovaries to the uterus, and the accumulation of adipose tissue in the abdominal cavity. Simultaneously, the surgeon will examine the abdominal cavity in order to eliminate any signs of malignant tissue. If signs of cancer is found in the intestine, is necessary to remove the affected area and to connect the two ends of the intestines.
Examination of the abdomen in ovarian cancer
Examination of the abdomen - isa highly specialized form of surgery, and it is important that it spent surgeon specialist in cancer of the genitals. Studies have shown that even if a cancerous lesion can not be completely removed by surgery and are small clusters of cancer cells, the subsequent effect of the treatment will be much better after the removal of an increasing number of pathological material. Sometimes there is a need for a second operation after a certain time after the first. The aim of the second survey - to determine whether the treatment effect on progression of the disease and help physicians assess the need for further action.
Hysterectomy in ovarian cancer
Hysterectomy may cause the woman verygreat suffering. For women who have not reached menopause, which means its premature onset and the appearance of symptoms such as "hot flashes", dry skin and vagina, as well as depression. Women are difficult to reconcile with the termination of the reproductive period. Hysterectomy conducted during menopause, it is still a blow to women's self-awareness. All of these factors can greatly affect the emotional state of the women, and then when they find out that the cancer. Therefore, to help patients through this difficult period, it is essential to provide them with both pre- and postoperative emotional support and advice.
Recommendations to patients who have had a hysterectomy
- The first month after surgery should be used for the recovery and adequate rest
- Driving a car can be started one month after surgery.
A small weight gain can occur due to a decrease in motor activity, but
hysterectomy as such does not cause weight gain. After 3-6 months, the weight comes back to the original, as normal physical activity.
- Often there is fatigue and loss of vitality, these violations of patient status are short-lived.
- Survey of the gynecologist performed 6 weeks after surgery.
- Sexual life can be resumed after the examination of the gynecologist and should be normal with the usual frequency of orgasm.
- Granulation in the vaginal vault may cause postcoital bleeding, so you need granulation process with silver nitrate.
- Sometimes vaginal vault is infected and there are unpleasant discharge. Treatment is carried out with drugs that act on anaerobes, such as metronidazole.
- The recovery period is usually 6 weeks, after which you can return to work.
The prognosis for ovarian cancer
If ovarian cancer is detected at an early stage,surgery by itself or in combination with subsequent chemotherapy often leads to recovery. In more advanced stages of the disease in some cases, recovery may be achieved by chemotherapy, but a much smaller number of patients. However, most people with advanced disease the goal of chemotherapy is to deter the cancer process, and as much as possible long-term preservation of an acceptable quality of life.