Narcolepsy - a disease that manifests itselfsudden bouts of sleepiness at the most inopportune moment. So far it is not known from what it was disease occurs most likely to blame heredity. With regard to the diagnosis of narcolepsy, it is debugged very well, which is not the treatment.
The first step in the diagnosis of narcolepsy - assessment of the state of your health care provider and the exclusion of other diseases. The next step - a visit to a specialist on the problems of Sleep Medicine (a sleep).
In somnological laboratory specialistcarefully analyze your medical history and conduct a complete physical examination. If the doctor suspects narcolepsy, you will be offered to be examined in the laboratory. To confirm the diagnosis and determine the severity of the disease is usually carried out two tests: test polysomnography and a multiple sleep latency to (MSLT test).
When conducting polysomnography you have to spendsomnological night in the laboratory in individual comfortable room. Small electrodes are attached to the skin with adhesive gelatinous substance. The electrodes will record brain waves, muscle activity, heart rate and eye movements. This procedure is painless, and you will be asked to sleep in an environment as close as possible to the familiar. This test is necessary to determine the presence of other disorders that may cause your existing symptoms.
The next day was the MSLT test. In the daytime with the same electrode serves you fall asleep within 20 minutes during the four to five attempts at intervals of two hours. When MSLT-controlled test your pattern (Figure) sleep. Persons with narcolepsy tend to have a specific pattern of sleep that is different from that in healthy people. In narcolepsy, sleep with dreams often begins shortly after the patient's sleep. Thus, the two tests combined with existing symptoms help you skilled in sleep medicine determine whether your symptoms due to narcolepsy or other defect that has the same symptoms.
Although currently the narcolepsy can not becured, the symptoms can usually be controlled or alleviated so that those suffering from the disease, rarely experiencing its symptoms and can lead fairly normal lives. If you are diagnosed with narcolepsy, it seems, your treatment plan will include several components: drugs, behavioral therapy and organization of certain events in the patient environment.
Over the counter drugscaffeine, usually ineffective with narcolepsy. However, available dispensed on prescription drugs that can effectively control excessive daytime sleepiness, cataplexy, hallucinations and sleep disturbances. You and your doctor should work together to find the optimal balance between adequate control of symptoms and side effects of medications.
The treatment you have narcolepsy is likely to require notonly drugs but also fit your life style. Implementation of these recommendations can significantly improve your sense of well-being:
- Follow a regular sleep / wake mode. Go to bed and get up at about the same time each day.
- Can be useful regular short-term episodes of daytime sleep.
- Be careful when performing actions that may be dangerous, such as driving or cooking; so try to plan your schedule to be vigilant at this time.
- Carefully follow your doctor's recommendations for receiving drugs. Immediately inform him about any changes or problems with your medications.
It is difficult to control narcolepsy, if yourfamily, friends and co-workers do not understand the disease. Daytime drowsiness may be mistaken for laziness, depression or loss of abilities. The symptoms of cataplexy, or dreaming while awake may be mistakenly regarded as a psychiatric problem.
If you suffer from narcolepsy, your treatingthe doctor must hold a conversation with your family members, assure your (his) spouse (s) or other family members who may believe that they are neglected or used, that your behavior is not intentional or mentally abnormal. Family support - an important step in the ability to cope with the disease.
Here are the instructions for the patient's narcolepsy:
- Tell your employer about the disease. Providing certain conditions at work will allow you to be profitable employees.
- Find narcolepsy support group. Meeting other people with the same disease can have a reassuring effect.
- If narcolepsy prevents the execution of your work, consider other available sources of income.
- If your child suffers from narcolepsy, themake sure that the teachers are aware of this disease. Small adjustments in the classroom can have a huge impact on your child from the standpoint of self-esteem and the ability to get a good education.