Hearing impaired when there are obstaclesthe passage of sound waves, which may be mechanical, but may be related to the state of the auditory nerve. Hearing loss can be total or partial. Sometimes pathology can be inherited. Rumor often worsens with age as a result of disease or exposed to loud noises.
Types of hearing loss
There are three main types of hearing loss: conductive, sensorineural and mixed.
- In conductive hearing loss an obstacle (eg, cerumen impaction in the external ear canal) gives a function of the external and middle ear
- In sensorineural hearing loss damaged the structure of the inner ear.
- Mixed hearing loss is characterized by elements of conductive and sensorineural hearing loss
Congenital hearing loss
Congenital hearing loss can be inherited as agenetic disease. In infants causes a hearing loss is damage, exposure to toxic substances and infectious disease suffered by the mother during pregnancy. Structural or functional hearing loss is more common in premature or low birth weight children. Hearing loss in the medical language is called deafness.
conductive hearing loss
Hearing loss caused by obstacles in the way of sound amplification, called conductive. It arises:
- at the level of the outer ear (cerumen impaction, malformations of the external ear development)
- at the level of the middle ear (the holes and damage to the eardrum, damage to the auditory ossicles; otosclerosis, violates the mobility of the auditory ossicles).
This hearing loss is usually corrected by surgery. In rare cases, you need an additional appointment is very simple hearing aid - it should just amplify sounds.
sensorineural hearing loss
Hearing loss associated with impaired conversionmechanical vibrations into electrical impulses, called sensorineural. For this type of hearing loss is characterized by not only the reduction in sound reproduction, but also its distortion. This reduces the pain threshold; intensity sounds a little louder than the threshold of hearing become intolerable, whereas for normal hearing people's pain threshold is about 100 dB is difficult speech perception in noise.
Causes of sensorineural hearing loss are:
- neuritis (herpes zoster, mumps, etc...);
- increasing the pressure of the inner ear fluids (Meniere's disease);
- age-related hearing loss (presbycusis);
- Pathology of the auditory nerve.
Sensorineural hearing loss can not be curedsurgically. Electronic circuits appointed hearing aids need to be more sophisticated in order to adjust the individual characteristics of the patient's particular hearing, typical for this type of hearing loss.
Mixed hearing loss
Mixed hearing loss is a combination ofthe above two types of hearing loss, that is a combination of conductive hearing loss with damage to the inner ear. The main causes of this type of hearing loss:
- infection in chronic inflammation of the cochlea of the ear;
- layering age factors on the non-operated otosclerosis.
Such patients should be given the same hearing aids that and sensorineural hearing loss.
What are the symptoms of the disease
Although congenital hearing loss is not always rightevident at birth, a bad reaction to sound is usually found on the 2-3 th day of life. As the child grows, hearing loss affects speech development.
For conductive hearing loss is characterized by decreasedsensitivity in the perception of sound, but the changes in their distinctiveness is not going on. Suffice it to enhance the volume - and the patient with this form of hearing loss will normally hear. Usually people with conductive hearing loss, and says in a low voice has a normal ability to distinguish sounds, but heard worse when chewing.
A person suffering from sensorineural hearing loss,bad distinguish sounds, it does not react to the noise worse hear high frequency sounds. He complains that others say or shout slurred, his concern ringing in the ears.