What is syphilis
Culprit of syphilis (pathogen) - paletreponema. Pale because with laboratory diagnostics it is poorly stained. A feature of pale treponema is instability in the external environment. She feels comfortable only in the body, but outside, she bends quickly. It is this feature that explains a rather rare household infection with syphilis.
In a case of syphilis infection can occur?
About the fact that syphilis is transmitted sexually - a fairly hackneyed expression. Let's try to parse detailed examples of penetration.
- Oral contact. One of the common transmission options for syphilis. By the way, according to Western media reports, American schoolchildren (a special survey was conducted) do not consider oral sex to be real and believe that it is impossible to get sexually transmitted infections in this way.
- Kiss. Chance of a transmission path, if a patient with syphilis in the mouth ulcer has already formed. But this happens rarely.
- When touched by the genitals withoutpenetration or ejaculation into a partner. Such an opportunity also exists. Since both partners have a lubricant in which pale treponema can safely travel from one to the other.
- Anal. Just catch, can both sex partner.
- Infection through blood transfusions.
- Contamination from sick mother to the fetus (vertical transmission).
- The everyday way is through hands or objects. An extremely rare occurrence. Most often, such a route of penetration is voiced or confirmed by a doctor in cases where partners are trying to maintain a family relationship.
The most dangerous period - when a patient with syphilis is most contagious, - the period of primary syphilis, when mucosal (mouth, genitals, etc.) there are sores.
If the patient also misses this moment, and will notto be treated, - the disease gives new manifestations - sores will appear in different places (on the mucous membranes, on the palms, on the legs, etc.). Rashes appear approximately 2-4 months after infection. Another symptom that is characteristic of syphilis is hair loss. Hair begins to fall out precisely in this period. This condition of the patient, if left untreated, can last several years. And besides these rashes and hair loss, nothing else bothers him. Sores appear and disappear again. This moment is dangerous, that during this period the pale treponema will reach the liver and nervous system.
Then, with the help of pale treponema, they are destroyedalmost all human organs and systems - the heart, aorta, bone system, nervous system (including the spinal cord and brain). The most dangerous consequence of this period is damage to the aorta. Calcium is deposited on its walls and as a result the patient has shortness of breath and pain behind the sternum. At this stage, a person can still be saved. Of course, it will not be possible to restore damaged organs, but the infection process can still be stopped.
As you can see, syphilis affects a person slowly, but the effects are quite dangerous. So much so that if you skip all the symptoms and do not cure the patient, he will die.
The sooner a person seeks medical help, the more successful the treatment will be. The main direction that makes up the treatment of syphilis is antibiotics.
If a patient starts to take on their ownor antibiotics administered intravenously (it is believed that one injection of the potent antibiotic can get rid of syphilis), it can create favorable conditions for the further life of Treponema pallidum. If not properly treated, it will only become more stable and then it will be harder to get rid of it. And this can happen even if the treatment prescribed by a doctor. Since the scientific community there is a perception that modern pale treponema has become more resistant to modern antibiotics.
Thus, treatment must be administered individuallyeach case. This depends on the stage of the disease and other related diseases. It is possible that in addition to the need to use antibiotic immune drugs. Any treatment is given only after laboratory tests.
The prognosis for timely treatment favorable. If you follow all doctor's instructions (including to treat sex partner), then with T. pallidum can say goodbye forever. Back it can only with new contacts with patients with syphilis.