Cachexia - term meaning the total number of exhaustion with serious diseases including malignant tumors.
Cachexia occurs in almost allcancers, but most often, successively in order of importance - for cancer of the stomach, pancreas, colon, prostate, lung, breast, Hodgkin's lymphoma and various sarcomas.
Cancer cachexia is characterized by intensedepletion of adipose tissue, muscle and visceral proteins, which reduces the energy reserves. This condition is accompanied by a significant decrease in the catabolism of body weight.
The main causes of weight loss in cancer patients:
- lack of appetite;
- changes in gustatory and olfactory sensations;
- decrease the digestibility of the food;
- tumor obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract;
- psychological factors;
- violation of metabolism: protein, fat, carbohydrates;
- increased energy consumption;
- changes in hormonal profile;
- disruption of water and electrolyte balance.