What is arachnoiditis? The name of the disease comes from the Greek word for "Arachne" - spider. Arachnoiditis - an inflammation of the arachnoid of the brain - the fine network of blood vessels and connective tissue structures that cover the brain from the outside. In a normal brain, as it were floating in the "lakes of liquor", that is, the cerebrospinal fluid. However, if there is inflammation, the circulation of the cerebrospinal fluid is disturbed, its outflow from the head to the spinal cord is difficult, and cranial nerves are inflamed.
Thus, the main cause ofarachnoiditis - a penetration of infection. This occurs as a result of complications of common infections, such as influenza, pneumonia, measles and others. They represent a danger as the focal foci of infection - sinusitis, tonsillitis, otitis media. Arachnoiditis may arise as a result of aseptic inflammation associated with microbial not defeat. This occurs particularly in traumatic brain injury. Sometimes arachnoiditis occurs in patients with encephalitis.
- It occurs 10-12 days after infection;
- headache Expander or pressing nature. At an altitude headache possible vomiting;
- sleep disturbance;
- decreased performance, weakness, fatigue;
- blurred vision;
- emotional instability.
There are three main forms of arachnoiditis, each of which has its own characteristics:
- optohiazmalny or arachnoiditis anterior cranialfossa (a consequence of inflammation in the paranasal sinuses). It is characterized by blurred vision, which may develop slowly or, conversely, quickly. In the fundus possible effects of stagnation or neuritis, optic atrophy, atrophy of the optic nerve. There may be double vision. Sometimes developing metabolic disorders: diabetes insipidus, obesity and so on.
- arachnoiditis posterior fossa (usuallyconsequence of a middle ear disease). It manifests intense, periodically growing headache with nausea and vomiting, may develop hydrocephalus. disease often resembles a brain tumor.
- convexital arachnoiditis. It is characterized by seizures, which sometimes occurs when loss of consciousness.
Most arachnoiditis sick woman.
The prognosis for a favorable living and working. However, to fully recover from arachnoiditis is practically impossible, it is a chronic disease. It is therefore important to prevent the occurrence of this disease.
As a precaution arachnoiditis may make prevention, early diagnosis and timely treatment of acute infectious diseases, focal foci of infection, traumatic brain injury.