Take the test "What keeps me awake?"
What is sleep hygiene? It's almost a science about how to cope with various problems associated with sleep: from rare difficulty with night falling asleep and waking at night and ending the prolonged insomnia. This includes the ability to quickly and wake up in the morning, and freshness throughout the day. Sleep hygiene - it is your habits, your evening and morning rituals are actions that help or hinder you go to sleep and sleep peacefully, that is, any factors that somehow can affect sleep. And all of this can be controlled in order to secure a good night's rest.
The science of sleep can be divided into four main components, on which depends the quality of sleep:
- Circadian rhythm.
- Stressoobrazuyuschie factors.
- Social and recreational substances such as nicotine, alcohol, caffeine.
Our whole life is subject to twenty-fourcycle. And no less important than the quality and quantity of sleep, is what part of the day assigned to sleep. The size and more stable your daily rhythm, the better sleep. The twenty-four cycle can be broken by a number of different circumstances, such as daytime drowsiness, violation of habitual sleep time, exercise, and especially the vulnerability of the world (this option includes the crossing time zones while traveling and vigil at the computer monitor directly in front sleep, and long daylight hours).
Age plays a very significant role in theSleep issues. After forty years of sleep a person is changing, becoming more shallow, and therefore, in comparison with the period of youth, frequent nocturnal awakenings. Not only do they directly affect the quality of sleep, but also interact with other factors that cause stimulation of the nervous system, such as a hangover, which, if we had used alcohol just before sleep late at night appear. It turns out that the more often a person wakes up at night, the more likely that in the morning he would wake up tired.
Various sources of stress, such as the timingCompletion of projects and reports, exams, family conflicts and problems at work, can interfere with sleep at night or sleep late at night. Of course, to ignore these problems and "turn off", it takes time, and there is no other way. If you are used to work up to the moment when you need to go to bed, or right before going to bed wondering about the events of the past day, plan to do tomorrow (familiar, is not it?), You just can not instantly switch the body to sleep.
A person need to create yourself a ritualbedtime, to build a kind of "bridge" between the stress of the day and the opportunity to fully relax at night; especially with respect to children. Rituals duration may vary from ten minutes to an hour. Some thoughts for the release of accumulated per day, helps to make a list of stress and ways to work with them.
If the means for such complacency addrelaxation period, for example, half an hour with a light book, or a warm bath, you will be much easier to fall asleep. And do not try to look at the time! Inexorably moving forward arrow will only irritate and add excitement rather than remove it.
Social and recreational (restoring force) of the substance
Acceptable in the society with various substancesaction, such as nicotine, alcohol and caffeine can actually provide you a much greater impact than you think. Caffeine, which tends to linger in the body for up to fourteen hours, increases the number of nighttime awakenings, and reduce the total time of your sleep. And then, and more can indirectly affect your alertness and performance during the day. The action of nicotine is similar to caffeine, with the only difference being that in small doses nicotine calms, and more conducive to the central nervous system excitation.
With regard to alcohol, the first in itsYou can use sleepy, and when to stop in time, you can quickly and soundly to sleep. However, getting into the bloodstream and participating in metabolism, alcohol triggers the activation of the nervous system, which can last from two to three hours after the final removal of alcohol from the body. Such excitation explosions disturb sleep, often causing too vivid dreams, sweating and headache. Nicotine in combination with caffeine and / or alcohol is able to provide you with a restless sleep and discomfort after waking up: you can feel completely overwhelmed and tired, not to mention the hangover.
It is important to understand that the lack of quantity andpoor quality of sleep can cause very serious problems, both short and long term. Many studies have proven the importance of sleep and demonstrated that the defective sleep is extremely adversely affects the productivity of work and care.
Should not have enough sleep is just a half an hour,your level of care the next day will drop by about a third. Severe sleepiness impairs memory and the ability to think and process information, and in addition greatly increases the risk of occupational injury. Prolonged lack of sleep from disorders such as sleep apnea (cessation of breathing), as a result often spills over into increased pressure, heart attacks and strokes.
Summarizing all the above, we offer a few quick tips to help you relax, fall asleep and sleep, not waking up in the morning and feel fresh and cheerful.
- Watching TV, eating, emotionalshowdown, shall remain outside the bed. Use the bed only as a place for sleep and sex. Otherwise, it may begin to be associated with other activities that would cause problems with falling asleep.
- Minimize night noise, lighting,uncomfortable for sleeping temperature. Your mates can become earplugs, blackout curtains on the windows, electric blankets, and air conditioning or a fan. The slightest noise or excess light at night can ruin the quality of your sleep. Try to keep the temperature of the bedroom no higher than 24oC and below 13 ºC.
- Try to eliminate drinking, or at least reduce the amount after eight in the evening, so as not to jump up at night at the request of the bladder.
- Avoid sleeping during the day, but if you stillI have to sleep during the day allotted to no more than twenty-five minutes later than eight hours after awakening. If you are having difficulty with night falling asleep, nap you absolutely contraindicated.
- If you need to get up at night, do not blind yourself with light. Use a small nightlight.
- Nicotine is an excitatory substance, andshould be avoided like just before bedtime or during the night awakenings. Smoking before bed, you can feel relaxed, it does not negate the fact that the blood gets a stimulant that can take action, waking you at night.
- Caffeine is also a stimulant of the heartand is present in coffee, tea, carbonated beverages, and various drugs, freely sold in pharmacies. It is necessary to stop the use of caffeine at least four to six hours before bedtime. If you drink too many caffeinated beverages just before sleep, beware: you may get a headache, which prevent you from sleep.
- Although alcohol is a means of hinderingnervous activity, and can help you sleep, the metabolic processes that occur in the body to remove it from the alcohol, can trigger a hangover during sleep. That night hangover causes additional awakening and is directly related to increased sweating and nightmares.
- Light snack shortly before bedtime can help yousleep, while a tight dinner very late in the evening interferes with sleep. Avoid protein products and to satisfy hunger, use uglevodosodezhaschie and dairy products. Milk contains the amino acid L-tryptophan, which is evidenced by the research data, helps the body to sleep. So the best choice to not go to bed on an empty stomach will be a glass of milk with low-fat crackers.
- If you belong to people who are experiencingburst of energy after physical activity, do not hard to do the exercises shortly before bedtime. In this case, you had better exercise in the morning or in the afternoon (preferably aerobic exercise such as: running, walking, etc.).
- Sleeps whether your pet (cat, dog, or someoneanother) with you? Stay animals in the bed may be the cause of your awakenings (eg, because your sleep becomes more sensitive due to the presence close by the little creature that can crush, or your pet fidgets and makes himself comfortable, shaking the bed and touching you). Perhaps your beasts move better on the floor or in a cozy private house?
Compliance with these simple rules capable ofdramatically change the quality of your sleep. To stay healthy and successfully carry out their daily activities, a person needs to wake up cheerful and fresh and not to nod off during the day. If, however, the rules of sleep hygiene does not help, it is necessary to consult a doctor or a sleep specialist, to prevent or detect serious disorder of the nervous system, which interferes with the full bed.
Take the test "What keeps me awake?"