Spinal arachnoiditis isinflammation of the meninges which surrounds the spinal cord. The inflammation causes constant irritation, the formation of scar-adhesions and leads to compression of the roots and blood vessels.
The main symptom of arachnoiditis - chronic pain in the lumbar spine, hips.
In addition, the patient can be confusing:
- tingling, numbness or weakness in the legs;
- strange sensations, such as a mosquito bite or a feeling of dripping water on his legs;
- severe shooting pain (resembling electric shocks);
- muscle spasms, convulsions and spontaneous twitching in the legs;
- dysfunction of the pelvic organs and reduced potency.
If the disease progresses, symptoms may become more severe and persistent. The process is most often observed in the thoracic, lumbar spinal cord and the "horse's tail."
Most patients suffering from spinal arachnoiditis may not work and lead a normal life.
- Injury or surgery. Arachnoiditis may be a very rare complication of spinal surgery (especially if there were a few, and the operation was very large), or be the result of a spinal injury. Also arachnoiditis may develop after numerous blockades of the lumbar spine, with severe stenosis (narrowing) of the spinal canal or a chronic degenerative disease of the intervertebral discs.
- Chemical substances. Recently, myelography was considered as a possible cause of spinal arachnoiditis. Myelography - a diagnostic examination, during which in the space surrounding the spinal cord and nerves, a contrast agent is injected. It is considered that there is a possibility of the introduction of contrast arachnoiditis, especially in cases where multiple punctures performed.
- Infection. Arachnoiditis may also be caused by an infectious process that affects the spine - viral and fungal meningitis or tuberculosis.
For the treatment also used physical therapy and percutaneous electrical stimulation of the spinal cord, which is used a device that transmits an electrical signal to the spinal cord to relieve pain.
Surgical treatment of arachnoiditis, as a rule, is not carried out, as it may only cause an even greater development of scar-adhesions.