In adult human normally formed28-32 teeth, 28 of them grow up at an early age, the other four (the so-called wisdom teeth) may erupt between 17 and 25 years, and sometimes much later. The name of wisdom teeth comes from the fact that they erupt later than the other teeth, when a person has formed the basis of the nature and outlook. In some cases, these teeth erupt, sometimes even absent in some of their beginnings.
Features of wisdom teeth
Wisdom tooth is a tooth back drasticallyman grows latest in the dentition, and the account is the eighth. Also wisdom teeth are called "third molars". Their sizes are typically less than other medium-sized posterior teeth.
The peculiarity of this tooth is that it immediatelyerupted indigenous without preparation for eruption in the form of a baby tooth. The roots of wisdom teeth have a specific shape and are often curved. The number of roots can be different, from two to three to five, sometimes several fused roots are found.
How to grow wisdom teeth
Features of the formation and growth of wisdom teethdue to inheritance of a particular person, the structure of his bone-jaw system, the dentition. The main problem lies in the reduction of the jaws of modern man compared to our ancestors. Most wisdom tooth is simply not enough space for the growth of the jaw, hence there are difficulties in its placement in the dentition.
It happens that the wisdom tooth is growing properly andIt can cause serious inconvenience, threatening adjacent teeth, gums and even bones. This happens due to the fact that at the time of the eruption has formed the jawbone, and a new tooth may lack space on the jaw arch.
The crown of the tooth is formed by eight to 12 years,eruption of wisdom teeth usually begins no earlier than 17-18 years. Third molar eruption and growth procedure is quite long and may be accompanied by inflammatory processes.
Problems of development of wisdom teeth
Often, pain in the wisdom tooth associated with the following disorders:
- Lack of space when teething wisdom tooth. Third molars grow when bone tissue of the gum has already been formed, and they have to make their way in difficult conditions. There may be various options for the location of crowns of wisdom teeth, teething at different angles, sideways to the side of the cheek, horizontally in the gum, towards the adjacent tooth. Wisdom teeth can slowly erupt inside the gums and in no way manifest themselves for the time being, but over time painful sensations and not very pleasant surprises are possible. If on the jaw arch there is not enough space for normal vertical placement of the wisdom tooth, then the development of the so-called crowding of the teeth is possible. The decision on medical intervention for a malformed wisdom tooth is made by the dentist based on an X-ray examination. By the way, the rudiments of wisdom teeth in an x-ray can be seen at the age of 7-12 years.
- The defeat of the wisdom tooth caries. Third molars because of its location are difficult for hygiene care and dental treatment. In the case of wisdom tooth decay can occur painful reaction when hit in the inflammation of hot or cold food, sweet, salty. Pain runs through the end of the stimulus.
- Pulpitis wisdom tooth (tooth nerve inflammation). It is characterized by sharp throbbing pain in acute paroxysmal pulp, or aching in the chronic form. May give ear, neck. Pains are spontaneous in nature, regardless of external stimuli. At night, as a rule, are amplified. Can develop a granuloma or cyst radical.
- Periodontitis wisdom tooth (periodontal inflammationtissues). Characterized by aching pain, with pressure on the tooth and tapped him on the pain increases. On the part of the tooth there is swelling of the gums and / or cheeks, on the gums may be present with a fistula suppuration.
- Pericoronitis (or perikoronarit) - enoughcommon complication during the eruption of wisdom teeth. Soft tissue in the gums erupting or erupted tooth become inflamed, while in inflammation may occur so-called "hood". Appears bad taste and bad breath, is accompanied by pain, swelling in the gums, pain on biting and swallowing, as well as an increase in temperature. Perhaps the appointment of a course of antibiotics to reduce inflammation, as well as the removal of the hood or the removal of a wisdom tooth.
Wisdom teeth - to remove or treat?
If you have problems with wisdom teeth usually require medical intervention dental, surgical or therapeutic nature. For therapeutic treatment are applied:
- anti-inflammatory drugs and means for removing edema;
- aseptic, antibacterial preparations;
Or need surgery. Dentist evaluates the degree of destruction of the wisdom teeth, the presence of indications for its conservation and treatment or removal:
- In some cases, in the absence of one or two adjacent teeth, in the future a third molar may be needed for prosthetics (a fixed bridge prosthesis is attached to it).
- If a wisdom tooth takes the normalvertical position in the mandibular arch and is involved in mastication, while it has a tooth-antagonist (sym wisdom tooth on the opposite upper or lower jaw), such tooth advisable to try to maintain. When removing one of the antagonists is likely extension of the tooth jaw symmetric (because of the no-load), and its subsequent loss.
- Pulpitis or a cyst of a wisdom tooth - if you have access to the root canals of the tooth and a good treatment, you can save such a tooth.
Before the visit to the dentist
You can use the proven means to relieve pain and reduce inflammation:
- attach to the outside in the cheeks of the patient tooth cold (ice);
- to reduce inflammation rinse your mouth with warm water and baking soda or salt, decoction of herbs (chamomile, sage, calendula), Aseptic solutions (Chlorhexidine, Eludril);
- and take anti-inflammatory painkillers (paracetamol, nimesulide, ibuprofen, analgin, etc.).
Even after the withdrawal symptoms toothache our sitestrongly recommends that you contact your dentist. Depending on the condition of the tooth or be prescribed treatment, removing if necessary. The desire in that at all costs to save the tooth in the case of wisdom teeth is not always justified. The doctor will explain in detail the treatment regimen or surgery.