«Angeion» in Greek means"Vessel" and "grapho" - it is literally "write, paint." This X-ray examination is held with the help of contrast medium. It allows to evaluate the condition of the blood vessels (not only functional), but also to determine extent of pathological changes, if they are present. Some experts now call it research angiography. The method is applicable not only to X-rays, but also in the X-ray and CT. And for the first time such a study conducted scientist V. Forsman in 1929 on their own vessels. Now doctors use two techniques for vascular examinations:
- Invasive - first introduced into the patient's arterycontrast agent, do not cause harm to the body. Then the doctor examines carefully monitor appeared on "cast" of the lumen of the internal system of the entire branched bloodstream. Thanks to this "picture" the expert can judge the bloodstream in a particular organ. The procedure is performed in specially equipped operating x-ray, it has a high-tech radiological equipment. Devices do allow large-scale X-ray images in a short time, they can be subsequently subjected to computer processing.
- Noninvasive - intended for researchstate of the lower limbs (or upper), brain, intestine, kidney, liver, and other internal organs, to determine the blood flow characteristics therein.
Angiography allows you to explore the veins, arteries of the lower extremities, pulmonary artery, the aorta.
When angiography is appointed?
The entire procedure consists of several stages.
First, the patient catheter (Special Itube) into a blood vessel - the radial artery hands (if it is necessary to examine the intestinal blood vessels, kidneys). If it is necessary to know the state of the vessels of the heart, the catheter will be introduced directly into the femoral artery. To examine the veins of the lower extremities, the catheter will be put into wreaths that are in the interdigital spaces. Place of introduction is first treated with disinfectants. To the patient had no discomfort, under local anesthesia. The behavior of the catheter into the vessel directed, conducted surveillance through X-ray television.
Further, a contrast agent is administered. Then proceed to the fast X-ray photography. At this time, the patient can feel warm for a few seconds.
Now, the catheter is removed, and the puncture site is pressed. This is done in order to stop bleeding. After 20 minutes, it will apply a sterile dressing to the area puncture.
Usually, the whole procedure takes no more than 60 minutes. If physicians after the state of vascular assessment and detection of problems, decide to spend just balloon angioplasty or other manipulations, the procedure duration increases.
whether complications are possible?
The research is considered safe. Yet may occur in some patients:
- Damage to the vessel at the puncture and insertion of the catheter.
- Allergies to contrast agent (it contains iodine).
For some time (6 to 24 hours) after angiography, the patient remains in a medical facility where medical staff watching him.
We will list a few of very important recommendations and requirements for the past angiography:
- In the early days, drink plenty of fluids to from your body quickly came medicines entered in the survey.
- On the first day more of rest in bed, so that the body recover quickly from stress.
- Gradually, you can return to eating recommended by your doctor.
- Bandaging should remain in place for at least 24 hours.
- During the day you can not drive a car and smoking.
- Take a bath or shower is possible only through 12 hours after the procedure is completed.
- You can not lift weights for 48 hours.
Sometimes the puncture site while the patient feels pain. In the area of the catheter may appear edema. There may be other complications:
- the progression of renal failure;
- abnormal heart rhythm, a manifestation of heart failure, myocardial infarction;
- stroke state;
- allergic reactions;
- vascular injury.
Carefully watch your state. Immediately contact your doctor if:
- We noticed in the puncture of the skin color changes.
- Arm or leg where the catheter was introduced, hot when you touch them.
- Loses sensitivity of a particular area of the body.
Digital Angiography - made contrastexamination of vascular system is then subjected to computer processing. This results in good quality pictures. Moreover, there is an opportunity out of the picture to separate the individual vessels. When this method can not make a puncture for insertion of the catheter, contrast agent and added directly into a vein, and its number is significantly less.
Color angiography - an image made by means of color coding helps to trace the hemodynamics specialist before treatment and after treatment.
3D Angiography - angiography images produced by digital techniques, are then subjected to complete the picture, 3D reconstruction.
Angiography allows the doctor to collectthe necessary information about the state of vessels, identify their problems (narrowing, developmental defects, damage, plaques, tumors), to clarify the diagnosis and effective treatment.