There are five options that will help to find outhow strong the child and whether he had any abnormalities. The maximum score that can get a newborn, is 10. Our site will tell you how to read the Apgar score, and what are the values of each point.
Who and when invented the Apgar
The score gets newborn ScaleApgar is very important, as the doctors who were present at the birth and helped the baby to be born, determine the general condition of the child, as well as the operation of its systems and organs.
Invented Apgar Virginia Apgar,an anesthesiologist from the United States. His system, through which you can evaluate the condition of the newborn, the woman offered during the annual Congress of Anesthesiologists in 1952. Currently, the system used by doctors around the world in every maternity hospitals.
Apgar score to determine if help is neededDoctors and resuscitation equipment for newborn, which is why the first points are set immediately after the child's birth. If you assist at the end of the first minute after birth, alas, this aid may be futile. Experts say that Apgar score is currently the most accurate method to determine the clinical condition of the child, after the birth, and in the fifth minute after that time.
To assess the state used the acronym of the first letters of Virginia - A (skin its color); P (heart pulse); G (grimaces, movement, cry); A (muscle); R (breathing reflexes).
What is the Apgar score
- A heart. The child, who had just been born,the heart beats at a frequency of 130-140 beats per minute. The child, who is weak and suffered oxygen starvation of the heart slows down. 2 points receives a toddler whose heart beats faster 100 beats per minute, 1 point - if the heart beats less than 100 beats per minute, 0 points - if the pulse is absent at birth.
- Breathing and crying. Newborn child can make up to 45breaths per minute, at which time it notifies its birth all around with a loud cry. Such indicators receive a score of 2. If born baby screams and moans, and his breathing slow and does not have regular motion, the doctors determined his condition at 1 point. In that case, when the breath and cry non-existent, give 0 points.
- Muscles. A newborn increased tone in the muscles - heborn and the first time is in a fetal position, however, the child should not only make themselves cry, but also to actively complain about, waving his arms and legs. This behavior doctors estimate at 2 points. In that case, when the baby's hands and feet are not strongly bent, and weak movement, neonatologists give 1 point, and in the absence of movement - 0 points.
- Reflexes. Hardly born, the children have a set of congenital reflectionsWhich suggests that theyfully adapted to life. At first, the very first reflections - a cry and breath. Then wake up sucking and swallowing reflexes, the latter appear jerk reflex crawling and walking. If these reflexes are present and the baby pronounced, so he receives a rating of 2 points. In the event that any reflections uncertain or weak - 1 point. In the complete absence of reflexes kid put 0 points.
- Leather. Ideally, a newborn baby is pinkskin. Tone can be varied - from light to almost red. With such a healthy complexion physicians count the baby 2 points. In that case, if the child limbs have a noticeable blue tint, he gets 1 point. If the baby skin is too pale or cyanosis is common not only in the limbs, but also to the body, he put the score of 0 points.
Can you trust the Apgar score?
Very often you can hear among young motherstalk about what kind of evaluation was given at birth of their babies. Someone boasts a solid 10, and by then a sigh that the baby was born with an estimate of 2 points. Do these points some value to the survival and development of children?
It is worth noting that the Apgar score is designed toevaluation of newborn states, and therefore obtained at delivery points do not carry any meaning for the future life of the child. This assessment of the subjective for a specific period of time, so to say with a high probability that a child born with the assessment of 10 points, a healthy baby who was born with 6 points, you can not. Under no circumstances should the Apgar score is not necessary to measure the physiological maturity in the future, since its main purpose - to reveal whether the newborn needed skilled care and CPR.
The most common indicators of below 4 points put children were born as a result of caesarean section or with some internal problems. They may also simply be immature - a physiological point of view - for life. All this can be corrected, if the time to help your child.
If the birth of a child put 0-2 points, itIt does not mean that your baby will be weak, lifeless and incapable entire life. Not at all. There are many examples where the kids that even after 5 minutes had to figure 2-4 to make up, and even then distilled in the development of their peers with higher rates. That is why it is not necessary to dwell for long on the Apgar score and its performance - remember, they are important in the early hours of the life of the baby, but not at a time when the fumes you have time to go to school or college.