Sleepwalking or somnambulism - a mentaldisorder that manifests itself in speaking or walking during sleep. Name sleepwalking phenomenon is due to the opinion that the excessive activity of the moon provoke unusual behavior. However, it has long been proven that the view is completely wrong, but the moon may still have some influence on the psyche.
Sleepwalking is not uncommon inCurrently, he is subject and about 2.5% of the world's population. But just as ten years ago, the people, the first time faced with such a phenomenon, afraid because of misunderstanding of the mechanism and nature.
It is widely believed that sleepwalking - aa rare mental illness, but in reality it is just a kind of mental disorder, which can be eliminated. The most commonly at risk are children and adolescents between the so-called puberty, when the body and mind are changing. Adults "lunatics" are much less common - about 1 in 1000. This suggests that somnambulism passes with age.
Basically disorder appears in stronglyexcitable and impressionable people with specific brain features. Single episodes of sleepwalking should not scare or provoke panic relatives, but if they are repeated on a regular basis, it makes sense to consult a specialist. This may mean that walking during sleep can be a symptom or "first bell" to the appearance of a rather serious nerve disorders, for example, epilepsy.
Features of behavior "lunatics"
As our website has already said above, the causes of sleepwalkingIt lies in increased nervous excitability, which occurs mainly in children and adolescents. With frequent attacks need to consult a specialist and undergo examination, including EEG. Most often, the survey reveals foci of epileptic readiness, which means that sleepwalking - a sign of epilepsy. And even if a person always looks calm and restrained, inside it is very vulnerable or excitable, but education does not allow him to show emotion.
Sleepwalking may cause not only epilepsy but less fatal phenomena such as heat during the flu. A man in such a situation is in polubredovom state and can not control their actions.
Since somnambulism is associated with the nervousbrain activity, any violation, even such as chronic sleep deprivation or severe stress may provoke an attack. Therefore, it can occur in adults who do not protect their mental health. Children are known to be more excitable, so prone to sleepwalking about 15% of children under the age of 11 years. With age, they learn to control their emotions, become more calm, and sleepwalking passes without a trace.
Sleepwalking mostly arise in momentsstrong experience and constant anxiety. For example, if a child watched a horror film, or the parents do not get along with each other, he was not allowed to have a puppy or he is worried because the first hike in the school on September 1st. The child's brain in such cases are simply unable to withstand the rapid influx of emotions, experiences and information, so at night it does not rest, and vigorously continues to process the information, trying to assimilate. But this consciousness is turned off and only the parents see how their child is playing, walking or just standing still asleep.
Scientific studies have proven that somnambulismcan be inherited. So, if both parents are a child or an adult tested (periodically tested) bouts of sleepwalking, it is likely that their offspring will also be subject to breakdown. It should take into account not only such obvious manifestations as walking or speaking in a dream, but also the individual movements of the arms or legs.
How dangerous sleepwalking
In itself it poses no disorderrisk to human health (if not a sign of epilepsy), but that man's actions during an attack may result in very unpleasant consequences. Somnambulist can harm not only themselves, stepping out of the window, or falling into the pool, but also others. Statistics have shown that more than 25% of the "lunatic" get varying degrees of damage during their night adventures.
There have been precedents when people during an attacksomnambulism commit murder, and did not remember anything in the morning. So, the history is known one of the most shocking cases of sleepwalking, not only when a person was driving in a dream, but also committed the murder. A certain Kenneth Parks, while 23-year-old married man in the middle of the night got into his car, drove 23 km to the home of Tiffany's and father-mother-and then stabbed with a knife and tried to strangle his father in law. After many trials and medical research Kenneth acquitted because he did not give a report of his actions.
That is why families need to closely monitor and possibly control the actions of "lunatic" to avoid the deplorable consequences.
Myths about sleepwalking
Sleepwalking - an unusual phenomenon, and understandablyreasons, it has generated a lot of myths and misconceptions. People tend to fear what they do not understand why our website offers dispel mythical aura around somnambulism.
Myths about the "lunatics":
- "Sleepwalkers" invulnerable during an attack and can nothurt yourself. This is absolute nonsense, does not hold water. In a subconscious asleep during an attack, and the body is active, both in everyday life, so if a person falls, then obviously he will get a bruise or abrasion. He even feels pain if areas that are responsible for it are active. But in some cases, these "hot" areas are bypassed, so "lunatic" does not pay attention to the injury.
- Sleepwalking - a hereditary disease. Firstly, it is not a disease, disorder and, secondly, only on condition that both parents were "lunatics" possible genetic transmission.
- Somnambulist remembers nothing of their nocturnal travels. The controversial statement, because often people can remember an event that is considered usual bedtime and soon forgotten.
- Sleepwalking occur only during a full moon. Disorder "bound" not to the phases of the moon, and to the emotional state of the person.
- Sleepwalking most often affects women. This opinion is particularly common in European countries during the Inquisition. Then the woman, who suffers from sleepwalking, automatically recognized by a witch, but recent studies have shown that the gender selectivity have no disorder.
- Sleepwalking happens only at night. Not at all, an attack can happen in a dream at any time, such as during an afternoon nap in a kindergarten.
- Somnambulist during an attack hears, sees and feels like the waking man. This condition is more like a deep hypnosis, and all reactions, sensitivity and receptivity "blunted".
If you have a house to discover the "lunatic", the mostthe best thing you can do in the case of rare and non-attacks - to ensure human safety and protect it from injury. Clean the floor with electric wires, so that he tripped, put it on the window lattice, move away glass items on the shelves. It recommended tied to a bed or locked in a room for the night in case of severe human. But in most situations, only enough to pay more attention to and monitor the mental health disorder and then gradually come to naught.