According to hospital statistics, at 15-36%patients admitted to the ENT department, revealed sinusitis. Those who are treated in the clinic on an outpatient basis, the diagnosis is more often. Moreover, the majority of patients are not even aware that they have sinusitis. What is this disease? Today, our site will talk about its causes, symptoms, types, treatment methods.
General information about the disease
If human inflamed one or moreparanasal sinuses, it is sinusitis. In Latin sinus and means «sinus». This disease arises as a complication of other diseases: acute rhinitis (rhinitis), influenza, scarlet fever, measles, and other infections. Generally, small cavities called sinuses, which are located in the interior of the human skull. And how many of the paranasal sinuses with us? 2 frontal - once it is clear that they have gone deep into the thickness of the frontal bone. 2 Stack, that is, they are formed by the cells of our ethmoid bone, what is the basis of the nose. The maxillary sinuses are found 2 maxillary. And there is another sine based on the cranium, it is situated in the sphenoid bone. All lined sinuses thin mucosa. All they communicate via small holes with the nasal cavity. And if a channel connecting the sinus and nasal cavity is closed, and it happens during a cold when the swelling of the nasal mucosa, then there is a rapid absorption from the air sealed in blood sinus. Sinus at this moment filled with inflammatory fluid, it is very active breed bacteria.
Why do our bodies are provided sinuses?
- They participate in the formation of the facial skeleton and certain facial features.
- Warms the air flowing through the nasal passages.
- They determine the timbre of the voice.
The mucosa of the sinuses (cavities) is very easy exposed to infection and inflammation, as well as the nasal mucosa.
Causes of sinusitis
First, it starts with general symptoms that appear when a cold: weakness, malaise, fatigue, fever. And then list the symptoms characteristic for acute sinusitis flowing:
- constant nasal congestion (sometimes it appears only on one side);
- excessive secretion of mucus from the nose, which becomes yellow or greenish color due to pus;
- Blood is often found in the mucus;
- reduction or complete loss of smell;
- twang in his voice;
- redness of the skin site located above the inflamed sinus;
- night worried about dry cough;
- headache in the crown, forehead or face.
For sinusitis is characterized by pain overbridge of the nose, for etmoidita - in the nose and the back of the eye; for sinusitis - in the area of the cheeks. When sphenoiditis present pain in the occipital and parietal regions.
During the chronic symptoms are lessbut longer appear, they disappear, then reappear. Such patients are constantly tormented by nasal congestion, shortness of nasal breathing, headaches or facial pain, pus from the nasal passages. Such people often pick up colds.
Diagnosis is an ENT doctor, based onConducted inspection of the mucous membranes of the nose and skull X-ray data, it will show you exactly darkened areas around the nose that are inflamed. When computed tomography also manages to identify the disease.
How to treat sinusitis?
The treatment has several directions:
- It is necessary to remove the infection, it is done with the help of antibiotics. If required, connect antibiotics or antifungals.
- Normalization of drainage and ventilation of the paranasal sinuses.
- Symptomatic therapy that alleviates the condition of the patient. For this, anti-edematous, immunostimulating agents are used.
Many antibiotics are showing more and unwantedactions therefore qualified Otorhinolaryngologists lately more often prescribed herbal preparation "Sinuforte". It contains an extract of cyclamen, providing local immunostimulatory influence triggers a natural process of cleansing the sinuses, nasal passages from there stagnant mucus and pus. Before using the drug is dissolved in the accompanying solvent. The drug is sprayed into the nasal passages in a vertical position. A single treatments per day. Within a few minutes to begin intense discharge of mucus from the nose. The course is about 8 days. Protect your eyes from getting into them the drug, or the case of strong irritation.
Here are some recommendations:
- In exacerbations of sinusitis and colds, avoid cold air, a few days Stay at home.
- The benefit will bring warm drinks, such as infusionsherbs - linden, lemon balm, rose, mint, mountain ash, ginger. At night, apply the feet mustard and wear warm socks. Make inhalation with essential oils such as spruce, pine, fir, eucalyptus, sage, geranium.
- Acceptable applied antiinflammatory, antipyretic agents, if necessary.
- To remove the swelling, facilitate breathing can drip vasoconstrictive drops (Sanorin, Galazolin, Nazivin). MS warns that they can not use more than a week
- Because doctors prefer antibiotics cephalexin, cefotaxime, cefixime, amoxicillin, azithromycin, clarithromycin.
- As a local antibiotic, good results are given by irrigation of the nasal mucosa with Bioparox spray.
- In allergic sinusitis use Telfast or Claritin.
- If the treatment is not achieved the desired effect,then resort to surgical methods. ENT Pierce inflamed sinuses draining them removes abnormally overgrown mucosal tissue. Now put into practice endoscopic techniques to carry out surgery most gentle way.
At the first sign of sinusitis our siteencourages its readers to consult a doctor. It is undesirable to have in my head, next to the brain, the foci of infection. If sinusitis is treated properly, it can become chronic with frequent recurrences (repetitions), which is difficult and long treated.