At present, this procedure is widely used in treatment of uterine fibroidsIt avoids the conservative treatment. This procedure consists of occlusion (occlusion) of blood vessels by means of a puncture of the femoral artery. Since the operation is almost painless for its implementation administered local anesthesia. For many years, women diagnosed with uterine fibroids resection appointed, until the complete removal of the uterus. The most common indication for surgery was the assumption the high proportion of the likelihood of degeneration of fibroids in malignancy. Amputation of the uterus, which is very poorly tolerated in women and usually leads to severe depression is the most common way of gynecological hysterectomy (surgery) to this day.
The new method was a real salvation for womenfrom the complex operation, due to the possibility of overlapping blood flow that supplies blood fibromatous nodes. As a result of this procedure, fibroids rapidly reduced in size. Embolization of the uterine artery is the introduction of emboli into the uterine artery through a small puncture in the groin crease. Endovascular surgeon using X-ray equipment closely monitoring the movement of the catheter within the artery and consistently brings it to the uterine artery, stopping at a point where it branches. Thus, the healing process is to puncture the femoral artery catheterization further uterine vascular embolization and subsequent administration of the drug, which is stuck in the blood vessels and blocks them. The procedure is considered completed after a complete blockage of the blood vessels responsible for blood flow to fibroids. In order to achieve a guaranteed result uterine artery embolization is performed on both sides. As a confirmation of the termination of blood supply to the control units is carried out arteriogram. puncture site thoroughly treated with an antiseptic solution, and 12 hours are compressed with a sterile bandage.
Clinical classification of uterine fibroids determines the treatment of patients:
- with small (1-2 cm) fibroids prescribe combined oral contraceptives (combined hormonal) or intrauterine releasing system;
- in the presence of fibroids is medium in size (3-4 cm) is assigned a two-stage treatment;
- detection of large fibroids (over 4.5 centimeters) appoint conservative myomectomy (removal of fibroids) or uterine artery embolization;
- myoma on a stalk require laparoscopic (through a small hole) removal;
- submucous (submucosal) fibroids, up to 3 centimeters require hysteroresectoscopy (intrauterine surgery).
By holding uterine artery embolization, there are certain indications and contraindications. Embolization of the uterine arteries in the following cases:
- When the diagnosis is established, or growing symptomatic uterine fibroids
appointment procedure is recommended:
- in establishing the size of the uterus, the relevant pregnancies from 7 to 20 weeksBut only in the absence ofpathology of endometrial, ovarian and cervical cancer. Embolization of uterine size of less desirable because of the success of its very insignificant;
- when women are interested in the preservation of reproductive function, along with the established influence of fibroids in the pathogenesis of infertility or assumption high probability of miscarriage;
- during the preparations for the miomektamii (removal of fibroids) or hysteroresectoscopy (intrauterine surgery).
- with significant uterine bleeding of various etiologies, in cases where all other methods of treatment of life-threatening patient.
The advantages of the procedure
Uterine artery embolization has several advantages compared with other treatments. following positive moments can be attributed to them:
- Being able to avoid surgery and to guarantee the preservation of the uterus.
- Continuation of the reproductive capacity of women.
- Avoiding the use of general anesthesia and rapid recovery after an eight-hour bed rest.
- The absence of large scars and skin lesions. Traces of two punctures very quickly disappear.
- In case of increase of temperature or pain that is extremely rare, quite a short course of anti-inflammatory drugs and analgesics.
Numerous reviews of grateful womenunanimously testify that the procedure is completely painless and is extended to 10 minutes. Along with full functions of the uterus, completely stops the progression of the tumor, and it happens fast enough reduction in size.
At the end of the article should be added that inCurrently, mime uterus is much more likely to be diagnosed in young women, who not only did not have time to learn the joys of motherhood, but also to enter into full-fledged adulthood. In today embolization of uterine arteries clinic still is quite an expensive procedure. However, it should be recognized that this method is really worth. The total amount of embolization procedures include the price of the drug, used tools and materials, the work of a doctor, and hospital stay.