Overview of Retinoids
The name of this group of substances has been given from the word"Retinol" (as doctors call vitamin A). That is, the structural analogues of vitamin, its natural form or obtained synthetically. Vitamin A is very important for our skin, it has an effect on the differentiation of epithelial cells. It has long been known that retinol helps with many skin pathologies. But when it began to try to use in therapy in a pure form, this has caused excessive cell peeling and other undesirable effects. Therefore, scientists have made some minor changes in the structure of its formula and introduced the resulting material in the formulation. And the drug was showing selective action on certain structural elements of the skin, and the manifestations of toxicity and decreased side effects. The first drug was shown in 1971 and was called Retin-A. Now you can meet with retinoid creams for the face, hands, feet and nails. They are made for the treatment of acne, cellulite prevention and rehabilitation of hair. Today has been known for over 1500 retinoids. Only a few dozen of them may actually be useful to man.
Popular retinoids used in medicine and cosmetology.
Classification of retinoids as follows:
- The first generation include retinol acetate andpalmitate, tretinoin (Retin A, Lokatsid, Airolo); Isotretinoin (Izotreks, Roaccutane, Retinoic ointment); Alitretinoin. In general they are used in dermatology for the treatment of acne.
- The second generation are Etretinat, Acitretin (neotigazon), they are used in the treatment of psoriasis and dermatoses.
- Third generation (they are called selective retinoids) - bexarotene, tazarotene.
Combination Isotretinoin and erythromycin has been patented as a drug "Izotreksin". "Erilik", "Acne Mitsin" - a combination of tretinoin and erythromycin.
Whatever it stands out Adapalene (better knownDifferin called), because it differs in chemical structure from the above representatives of three generations. But he also has the property of retinol. This is the most commonly used drug in Russia for local use. It is produced by the French company "Galderma" called Differin (0.1% gel or cream concentration). Even in pharmacies, there are Indian agents - cream and gel Adaklin Klenzit. These drugs should be applied once per day (preferably at bedtime in the evening). Improvements appear in about 4-8 weeks of regular use. The course of healing of the skin may take from 30 to 90 days. In the first three weeks of use, some patients may worsen skin rashes. But the treatment should continue and not be upset. More in Russia manufactured Retinoic ointment containing isotretinoin emulsion based on a concentration of 0.1 or 0.05%. The manufacturer recommends this ointment to apply a thin layer to clean skin once or twice a day. Treatment lasts from one month to three.
Some creams and ointments dermatologists recommendPatients in the treatment of psoriasis. In the salons beauticians make their clients the anti-aging mask, composed and retinoids. He enjoys success and such a procedure, which is called "yellow" peeling.
Do drugs, which is composed of retinoids,documented side effects. When local use, some patients complain of dry skin, irritation, itching, appearance of peeling, burning. Modern drugs prepared on the basis of adapalene, these effects are less common. Yet they appear in 10-40% of patients. If the skin is strongly red, peeling or blisters, it is a signal that the retinoids for the treatment of acne do not suit you.
At the reception of retinoids in, a list of possible side effects more impressive. Can dry and cracking lips, appears dizziness. dyspnea, Nosebleeds, pain in muscles, joints, liver and kidney failure.
Choosing the right dose and regimenIt reduces the risk of adverse effects in patients. For a successful treatment strategy doctor may need the results of some tests made in the laboratory. For all their appointments doctor with experience in such cases, it is responsible.
Do not use retinoids at:
- increased sensitivity of the skin;
- liver disease;
- alcohol use.
Women planning a pregnancy, be aware that ingestion of retinoids should be stopped for 6 months before the onset of a possible pregnancy.
Several of the recommendations and warnings.
- More Ask the doctor how to use a drug that he will recommend. Look in the manual, what drugs have contraindications and adverse effects.
- Follow the advice of the doctor and annotations do not change the dosage or stop treatment without first talking to your doctor.
- Do not apply the gel or cream on the skin in large amounts (thick layer), this is what can cause the appearance of redness and peeling.
- Allergies to drugs with retinoids often happens, if the treatment is carried out in the spring or summer, when a lot of sun.
- If you are concerned about side effects, then report it to the doctor.
- In the treatment of acne retinoids can be used non-greasy moisturizing cosmetics.
- At the beginning of treatment, apply medication to the skin every other day for a short time (about an hour). Then the skin begins to gradually get used to the fact that you use this medication.
- These funds may increase the sensitivity to UV rays. Therefore, during treatment, refrain from sun exposure, do not visit a solarium.
- When spend treatment with retinoids, do notuse any means that dries the skin, exfoliate epithelium-irritating (this includes scrubs, lotions and alcoholic tincture).
mymedinform.com focuses its readers on what drugs with retinoids are not universal remedies for acne, psoriasis, dermatitis and other skin problems. Be sure to consult with your doctor, there are situations when these agents are contraindicated or can cause harm.