What is sclerotherapy?
Through sclerotherapy manage to remove without surgery bloodless way varicose veins are altered, vascular tumors, hemorrhoids. During the procedure must lumento introduce a special drug that causes a gradual adhesion of its walls and slow the absorption of the future. The technique was first used by the surgeon from France Eduard Shassenyakom more in 1853. But in those days, the development of sclerotherapy stalled because drugs administered in the blood vessels, gave a lot of significant side effects. Currently, there are highly effective drugs in the arsenal of Phlebology, but they are still safe. Allowed to use in clinics are drugs that have been approved by the Pharmacological Committee of the Russian Federation. For example, Trombovar, Fibro-Vein, Etoksiklerol.
So, the essence is the procedure: drug getting into the abnormal blood vessels, vascular wall damage, and then it leads to scarring. Gradually overgrowing vein lumen, the vessel turns into a fibrous cord, do not deliver the pain. Absorbable it for about 3-6 months. Previously, only the veins removed by surgery, anesthesia was needed for the operation. Then the patients were made dressings, required recovery period. In sclerotherapy, no such deficiencies. But what is the procedure? First, the doctor asks the patient about his disturbing symptoms, then proceed to the inspection, appoint the modern methods of research that will determine the tactics of treatment. And if there are clear indications for sclerotherapy, there are no contraindications, you can start the procedure. In the vein of the patient is administered a thin needle of the syringe containing sclerosing agent. In one session, usually from two to ten injections, depending on the degree of disease severity. On all it takes from ten to twenty minutes. Immediately after the procedure required bandages, compression stockings or a special brace. All this is necessary for the blood, going down under pressure in the lower extremities, does not prevent the law decay of venous walls and gluing. There are cases that the doctor prescribes sessions again after several days. More than five sessions are not held.
Now doctors have resorted to the three main varieties of sclerotherapy:
- The basic technique remains mikroskleroterapiya, it has been described previously. It takes place only in those cases where the pathological formation dimensions less than two millimeters.
- Echo-sclerotherapy - it allows you toat the time of drug administration to carry out an ultrasound duplex scanning, allowing the doctor to monitor the location of the needle into the pathologically altered vessels. Then sclerosing agents will be entered exactly in the place where they are needed. This technique allows phlebologist sclerosed large and deep-lying vein, if necessary.
- Foam sclerotherapy (her second name - Foamform therapy). As sclerosing agents used detergents. These substances are capable, when mixed with the air to turn into a foam (ratio 1: 3 or 1: 4).
Indications for sclerotherapy
Sclerotherapy can cope withthe above symptoms without pain, just, and even in the short term. But the cause of the disease, these sessions are not affected. Therefore, this method has drawbacks:
- If the walls of the veins in a patient weak, it is likely that soon in other areas, too, there will be blood vessels disease.
- In heart failure, in many cases it is a consequence of the varices.
- If, after getting rid of hemorrhoids the person continues to eat irrationally, leads a sedentary lifestyle, moving very little, it suffers from constipation, The hemorrhoids may come back.
The effect of long-term sclerotherapy, but, unfortunately, not for life. Once again I emphasize that eliminate the cause of varicose veins, sclerotherapy can not.
Sometimes after sclerotherapy case of small complications of a temporary nature:
- at the injection site can feel a little itchy, it can be observed occasionally over two hours after the session, but in some patients - for several days;
- skin along the vein may become slightly darken;
- if a little of the drug gets into the skin and not into a vein, it can burn, which will soon pass on their own;
- small wounds or skin peeling at places where the drug was administered (per two weeks, this phenomenon disappears);
- very rare patient feels for nine days after the procedure, a periodic pain during skleroziruemoy veins;
- rarely, patients at the site of vascular notice "mesh", which has a red color, it can stay for several months;
- If untreated formations in the ankle area, then there is possible a slight swelling in the case where the patient wears tight shoes (or if it contains high heels).
More serious complications are rare, but our site and mention them:
- Thrombophlebitis - inflammation characteristic for himprocess in the venous wall. This happens when sclerotherapy of larger vessels, or failure to comply with the doctor's recommendations about wearing elastic stockings or bandages.
- Severe burns (occurs due to contact withtissues surrounding the vein, a large amount of sclerosing agent). Then there is the risk that the healing will go a long time, then this place will be a noticeable scar.
- Venous thrombosis - the formation of a blood clot in the vessel as a result of a sclerosing agent, is much rarer than in the surgical treatment of varicose veins.
It is impossible to carry out the procedure of sclerotherapy in the following categories of patients:
- those who have a allergy on the drugs used during this procedure;
- women during gestation or breast-feeding a baby;
- suffering severe atherosclerotic lesions of lower extremities;
- patients with thrombosis or thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities;
- those who in places anticipated for injection, there is an inflammation or infection;
- in the presence of certain heart diseases.
Recommendations after the procedure
To get the most desired effect of sclerotherapy to avoid the side effects and complications, follow these guidelines:
- Immediately after the session, take a walk on foot for about 60 minutes.
- Every day work out walking for the same 60 minutes, when you have time.
- Do not smoke and abstain from alcohol 48 hours.
- Within three days after sclerotherapy session is not aerobics, gymnastics, forget the exercise bike.
- Within 14 days often change posture to avoid prolonged lying down, standing or sitting.
- Forget two months of hot tubs, saunas, baths.
- Elastic stockings or bandages have to wear 3-4 months. In the future, they will help to avoid the recurrence of varicose veins.
And one more important tip: it's best to plan sessions of sclerotherapy in the hot months.
Excellent results of sclerotherapy succeedobtained by using special equipment that helps realize more accurate penetration of drug in the blood vessels. Professionally executed procedure does not give the complications and side effects. Do not let to chance varicose disease in a timely manner, please contact a specialist-phlebologist.