All kinds of sleep disorders requireprompt treatment, otherwise the quality of life is slowly but surely reduced: weakness and chronic fatigue interfere with normal work and enjoy fellowship with loved ones. Narcolepsy, or Gelineau disease, is perhaps the most puzzling sleep disorders today.
What is narcolepsy
At the heart Narcolepsy is a neurologicalpathology, which prevents the brain to control and correct to alternate between sleep and wakefulness. This is manifested disorder invincible desire to fall asleep at the most inopportune moment - a lecture, interview, during an important meeting. The initial stage of the disease is difficult to detect since there are dozens of factors that justify the sudden drowsiness: chronic fatigue, insomnia at night, has recently gone through stress. Often people associate this condition with symptoms beginning coldsSo to a sleep (a specialist who deals with problems of sleep) reach only a few.
Read more about the disease
To understand the nature of narkolepsicheskogo disorder MirSovetov tell his readers what scenario develops physiological sleep a healthy person.
Overnight inhibits activeconsciousness, so that the connection tired for a day with the environment of the brain is briefly interrupted. Night sleep is classified into fast and slow. Slow sleep phase in turn is divided into four stages.
The symptoms of narcolepsy appear regardless of the total number of hours spent on vacation before. This specific feature distinguishes the disease from normal fatigue. How manifests narcolepsy?
During the day, the person begins to attack rampant drowsiness. The attack begins suddenly or after the "precursors" in the form of headache and general weakness. This occurs most often during the lesson something monotonous or at rest, when all the muscles relatively relaxed. Sometimes an attack of narcolepsy "tied" to certain hours of the day. For example, the patient may suddenly fall asleep, taking food for lunch.
Let us dwell on the most prominent symptoms of narcolepsy. Among them:
- Extreme drowsiness during the day: it may be some hours, the first or second half of the day.
- A restless night's sleep with frequent awakenings.
- Hypnagogic hallucinations and hypnopompic. First there once before going to bed, when the eyes are closed, the latter appear just before awakening, or in his time.
- Cataplexy - lightning loss of muscletone on the basis of extremely negative or positive emotions. During the attack the man falls, sometimes it ends with unpleasant consequences for him (injury).
- Cataplexy upon awakening - the person is conscious but can not move.
- Hyperhidrosis and tachycardia in the evening or night.
- Actions "on the machine" - a man aloofIt performs some task, but does not realize what he was doing. Patients with narcolepsy often fall asleep during an activity, but after waking up do not remember anything about it. It is especially dangerous when the consciousness of the "off" during cooking or driving.
Causes of disease
Why does narcolepsy reliablyunknown. It is believed that the pathology has a hereditary origin. She develops because of orexin deficiency - active matter of the brain, which controls the awakening and falling asleep. The catalyst of narcolepsy can become infectious diseases and problems in his personal life.
Experts say that the problem of psychiatric and psychological problems do not have to narcolepsy irrelevant.
Pathology Diagnostics Methods
To confirm the diagnosis and determine the degree of severity of narcolepsy patients are tested in two ways:
- Polysomnography. Testing takes place in a laboratory, in a specially equipped room for a good night's sleep, where the patient spends the whole night. Small sensors are attached to the human skin, record brain signals, heart rate, power, muscle tone of the whole body and the motor activity of the eyeballs during sleep. Painless procedure makes it possible to establish the nature of sleep disorders.
- The day after the polysomnography conductedMSLT-test. During the day, the patient should sleep for 15-20 minutes 4-5 times. The interval between such short rest is 2 hours. With the help of electrodes connected to a sleeping man monitor sleep patterns, so-called pattern. In narcolepsy, sleep pattern is completely different from the pattern of a healthy person. Attacks of this disease cause dreams as soon as a person suddenly falls asleep.
How to get rid of narcolepsy
Treatment of the disease has a good prognosis, if carried out against the backdrop of responsible compliance with the daily routine and moderate physical activity.
To correct a pathological condition is useddrugs that stimulate normal alternating phases of sleep during the night's rest, and medication (Anafranil, Ritalin, pemoline), which weaken the intensity of the symptoms the patient has hallucinations and cataplexy. Antidepressants help the patient be more active during the day.
Today, not yet invented regimen thatI would have relieved people from narcolepsy forever. However, you can learn to live, bringing all the manifestations of disease to a minimum. To do this, you need to follow the sleep hygiene - always go to bed and wake up at the same time. Smoking, alcohol, unhealthy food - it all fits of narcolepsy aggravating factors, so from them certainly need to get rid of.
Suffering narcoleptic sleep disorderperson recommended several times a day for 10-15 minutes to rest, eat right, be active and play sports. The complex of these healthy habits significantly reduced the frequency of episodes of sudden sleepiness.