Diverticulitis is called abnormal saccularprotrusions appendages (special anatomical structures), which are formed due to degenerative changes in the muscle wall of the colon. The term originates from the Latin word «diverticulum», which can be translated as "the way to the side."
As soon as the person's age increases,and increases the frequency of the incidence of diverticulosis. For example, statistics on the European continent is as follows: diverticula identified already every tenth citizen who has not attained forty years, every third inhabitant, whose age is more than sixty years and every second resident if its age has passed for seventy-five years. Symptoms related to the fact, in what department formed diverticula. Most often diverticula "prescribed" in the distal colon (90% of it). Moreover, 50-60% of the specified amount localized in the sigmoid colon, and only 10% - in the right side of the colon. In such formations rectum, doctors have not yet found.
When diverticulosis complications may occur:
- inflammation of the diverticula;
- violation of the integrity of the intestine (perforation);
- education infiltrates;
- external or internal fistulas.
Why there is diverticulosis?
First, a gastroenterologist interrogates the patient, examining his stomach probes (palpates) appoints stool and blood test.
To find out whether a patient has diverticulosis, help:
- X-ray study (barium enema), conducted with contrast media (barium enema).
- Colonoscopy - a survey that allowsobserve and identify the various complications of diverticulosis, such as diverticulitis (inflammation), their length, perforation (for holes), ulcers, areas where there is degeneration of Cancer cells.
Treatment of this disease for a long period, an importantvalue while playing the power. If the disease progresses without complications, the treatment is carried out at home. Patients are encouraged to nutrition such products that are rich in dietary fiber. The plant tissue contains: pectin, indigestible polysaccharides, alginates, lignin, cellulose and hemicellulose. They are able to bind water molecules in the intestinal lumen, thereby increasing the volume of the intestinal contents semiliquid reduced pressure in it. In the large intestine and transported quickly evacuate stool, and with output and toxic substances to them. In addition, fiber - a good breeding ground for beneficial microflora, which then will displace harmful microorganisms.
Very useful so-called wheat branwholemeal. The meals are suffering from diverticulosis are introduced gradually, the initial daily dose is 5-10 grams, then it was adjusted to 30 grams per day. Take 2-4 tablespoons of bran, pour 200 ml of boiling water. Leave for 40 minutes. Prepared thus bran can be added to dairy products, porridges, soups, vegetable and fruit dishes.
Do not worry if in the first week of such a diet abdominal pain suddenly increase. During this period, your doctor may prescribe antispasmodic medications, for example, Nospanum, Mebeverin, Buscopan, Meteospazmil.
The sources of dietary fiber are such herbal remedies as Mukofalk, Ispagol, Fayberleks, Solgar Psyllium, Fitomutsil.
What else can you recommend to include in the diet with diverticulosis?
- Vegetable soups and casseroles.
- Kashi from buckwheat or wheat grains, which have oil.
- Bread, in which the composition has a bran or meal.
- Baked vegetables and fruits.
- Sea kale, flax seeds.
- Dairy products (including preference given kefir, yoghurt, homemade yogurt).
- Fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs.
Liquids should be consumed for at least two liters a day.
Try to avoid foods that have astringent properties, inhibit intestinal motility:
- Rice and semolina porridge.
- Pasta made from white flour.
- Bread, in which the composition has flour.
- Seeds, nuts, grains (due to accumulation of risk in the diverticula).
- Legumes, grapes, watermelons.
- Coarse fiber products (persimmon, radishes, radish, raw cabbage).
- Fast foods, convenience foods, cakes, pies.
- Strong tea, coffee and carbonated beverages.
- Chocolate, cocoa, red wine.
the doctor prescribes medication, if necessary:
- Stimulants intestinal motility - Domperidone (Motilium, Motilak, Passazhiks).
- Enzyme preparations - Festal, enzistal, Mezim.
- Laxatives containing lactulose - Duphalac, Normase, Poslabin, Romfalak.
- Means of promoting normalization of beneficial intestinal microflora - Linex, Bifiform, Bifidumbacterin, Hilak forte.
- Antibiotics (In the case of inflammation, such as cephalexin, clindamycin).
If the disease progresses, the patient is givenreferral to hospital for treatment adjustments. When inflammation of the amount of fiber in the diet limit. In the case of diverticulitis, doctors often perform surgery, removing part of the intestine, where diverticula are found. Timely access to a doctor, compliance with its recommendations, to prevent complications such as severe bleeding, intestinal obstruction, fistulas, bowel perforation, peritonitis.
To prevent the formation of diverticula,Try to include in your diet plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, boiled beets, bread with bran. Keep the bowels emptied in a timely manner. Be mobile, you walk a lot, do gymnastics.