Happy months, when a woman bears the desired baby, and sometimes accompanied by unpleasant moments - nausea, Heartburn, cramps and swelling of the lowerextremities. According to statistics, the swelling occur in 80% of pregnant women. Why are there edema, whether it is dangerous, what to do, and whether you can prevent their occurrence? Questions are highly relevant. Therefore our site and decided to help understand all this to women and their families around. Many people know that in the absence of pregnancy edema can be a sign that a person has a breach in the functioning of the heart or vascular system, or kidneys. It considered whether the swelling during pregnancy is also a pathology or is it normal?
The occurrence of edema in women, expectantmoms, due mostly to changes in water-salt balance in the internal environment, the normal outflow of blood disorder and lymph from the lower extremities, thickening the blood, fluid retention by the body, as it were "in reserve", because in this period need water as a solvent for the occurrence of many processes in the formation and growth of the fetus. There are four stages in the development and manifestation of edema during pregnancy:
- The appearance of swelling in the lower legs or feet.
- Further swelling rise above affect the lower abdomen and even the lumbar-sacral region.
- The next stage - there is addedpuffiness (pasty) swelling of the face and hands. Pregnant women are very frustrating sagging eyelids. This happens because in them is loose fiber, retains water like a sponge.
- General edema, characterized by extensive spread.
The mechanism and causes of edema
Fluid retention is due to the following factors:
- weight gain women, which leads to increased stress on the legs;
- uterus grows, increases in volume and "presses" on the vessels. Especially "gets" the veins of the lower limbs and pelvis;
- and sometimes the uterus compresses the ureters, urine is released so bad;
- hormone produced in large quantities during pregnancy, forcing the body to delay the fluid;
- Pregnancy can push dormant in the body, not previously manifested kidney disease, heart or varicose veins. Then the swelling is one of the symptoms of these diseases;
- heat provokes swelling and frequent use of excessive salty or fried food.
Assumptions and self diagnostics at home
Not all swelling is visually noticeable, sometimes they wearhidden. Many women complain that they began to press and squeeze the foot earlier favorite shoes, strap sandals to constantly weaken, there is discomfort when wearing a wedding ring, it was a bad shoot with finger or leaves an imprint. And the scales show that this week's weight increases by more than 300 grams.
In healthy women in most cases edemaoccur in the late afternoon. In the morning they are almost invisible, during the night the liquid evenly distributed throughout the body. But the day she goes to work, a lot is in the upright position, it was then that the liquid and collects in the lower part of the body - especially in the feet and legs. If you press your finger on the swollen tissue, then there is a pit, slowly filling and leveling. Leather with pale, tense.
Inspection methods and diagnosis by a doctor
If a future mother worried about the swelling, whichbecome permanent, it must be said about this gynecologist. An experienced doctor will examine, ask about the status of more, find out if there is a predisposition to heart, kidney diseases or diseases of veins. Here's what else the doctor will:
- And comparing weighing results in dynamics. This will help determine if there is a raise in excess of that suggests hidden edema.
- Research urine output per day, that is,compared to the amount you drink fluids and urine output. Normally, the body must leave three-quarters of the number of incoming and one quarter stands out with sweat and breathing. When the amount of fluid withdrawn is smaller, the delay is already at its tissues.
- Urinalysis, especially watching whether there is protein in it.
- Measurement of the circumference of the tibia in a given position. It is believed that if this parameter a week increased by more than 10 mm, the fluid accumulates in the legs clearly.
- Implementation Blistering sample. Sometimes the nurse enters a region on the inner surface of the forearm thin needle intradermal saline in an amount of 0.2 ml. Normally, the formed blister should disappear within 60 minutes.
- Monitoring of blood pressure, swelling of the satellites are hypertension.
- A blood test to determine whether it is not too thick, there is no risk of thrombosis.
- If necessary, the heart and kidneys examined.
Different views on the problem of doctors
If swelling is not added to the hypertension andpresence of protein in the urine, the overseas doctors have not considered such state pathology. But many gynecologists in Russia is still of the opinion that it is necessary to take urgent measures and drug therapy in edema. They believe that pregnant edema necessarily lead to the development of complications such as the preeclampsia. Such doctors are of the view thatmedications taken time, save a woman from the appearance of high blood pressure and protein in the urine. Proponents of this approach to swelling prescribe their patients diuretics sharply restrict their salt and drinking.
But there is another group of doctors who have aapproach rejected. They believe that not always lead to the swelling of gestosis and eclampsia. They are against the appointment of pregnant diuretic drugs, because they believe that these drugs worsen the water-salt balance in the body of a woman, and that hurt more than the swelling. Note that diuretics have side effects, it is extremely undesirable during pregnancy. I also hold this view that it is necessary to assign these diuretics are only in exceptional cases that require urgent action. Of course, there is a good diuretic grasses, but their effects on the fetus has been insufficiently studied, so no need to make their own herbs, which advised a friend or neighbor with no medical training. Only a knowledgeable physician must make a decision on the appointment of herbs during pregnancy. The second group of doctors are not even recommended by sharply limiting intake of water and other liquids. They are confident and proved that if a pregnant woman drinks a little, the body thinks that it is necessary to further delay the water "in reserve", which leads to increased edema.
Preventive measures and principles of treatment of edema
Be sure to regularly visit hisgynecologist who monitors the progress of pregnancy. Share with your doctor your fears and assumptions, if you are concerned about swelling, numbness, tingling, heaviness, pain in the legs, night cramps. Conceal nothing, then an experienced specialist will appoint the necessary analyzes, conduct diagnostic tests and prevent complications of edema. These are the recommendations made to women doctors, to prevent the occurrence of edema or weaken their manifestations:
- Mandatory control over the amount of incomingin the body of water. Note that there is water in the soup, tea, juices, fruits and vegetables. Everything should be in moderation. During the second half of pregnancy body enough on average 1.2-1.6 liters of liquid per day if there is renal disease. Preference for that liquid which has the ability to stay in the circulatory system, and does not penetrate the fabric. This milk, yogurt, fresh juices at home - carrot, apple. To quench your thirst, you can eat fresh cucumber, blueberries, strawberries, currants, blackberries, cranberries, lingonberries slice of watermelon or cantaloupe - depending on the season. These products have a good diuretic effect and will contribute to the removal of excess fluid.
- It is important to organize your meals properly. Try to eat smaller meals so that makes you thirsty and promotes excessive consumption of liquid drinks. These undesirable products include salinity (herring, caviar, nuts in bags, generously spiced with salt manufacturers, pickled and canned vegetables, sausages), sweets (cakes with cream, jam, candy). Sparkling water with flavors and sweeteners also bringsharm. Avoid fried foods, prefer boiled or stewed dishes. Try to add to salads dill seeds or brew it - this spice withdraw excess liquid.
- Sometimes indicated for use vitamins, especially the group B, and means to strengthen the vascular wall.
- At work, if you have to sit a lot, notput one leg to the other, so as not to compress the blood vessels. If possible, substitute a small stool or footrest. Every hour, stand up from a chair or armchair, walk, do a little gymnastics.
- Choose comfortable shoes without heels. If the whole day has to be in the shoes, then remove it periodically to give the legs a rest and "breathe". In this case, ask your relatives to do easy and relaxing massage limbs. Movement must be from the bottom up - from the feet to the knees.
- To the liquid does not accumulate in the legs, it is necessarymove more, more often walk. If the swelling is still there in the evening, it is necessary to lay down, lifting legs slightly. In such cases, to help cushion, pillow, arm of the couch. To the liquid does not stagnate in the legs, it is desirable "quiet time" during the day and restful sleep at least 10 hours at night.
- Houses periodically make foot bath,Using a bucket during the procedure, to be immersed in warm or cool water, not only the feet, but also the lower leg. It is useful to add a sea salt or herbal infusions such as chamomile, mint.
- In order to prevent pathologies limbs, pregnant women are recommended to wear prenatal bandage is now possible at a pharmacy by a pharmacist to choose a convenient and suitable option for you.
- In some cases, phlebologist (Specialistveins) advise wearing compression underwear - stockings or tights. According to the testimony phlebologist can prescribe to prevent changes in the veins and accumulation of edema pills, creams and ointments.
Acquainted with this information, you can makeconclusions that we should not be anxious pregnant woman and nervous when in the evening she had swollen legs. Stick to the above advice, watch your health, visit the doctor, consult with him. Where edema are constants not disappear after rest and sleep when not only the swollen feet, an additional examination is required to prevent complications. Our site wants to expectant mothers an easy pregnancy and a healthy baby!