What is hypersalivation
Salivation is an important process,necessary for moistening the oral mucosa and to maintain the digestion process. In humans, salivation provide 3 pairs of large and many placed in the oral cavity minor salivary glands. The average person produces about two liters per day salivary fluid. As a rule, its increased allocation is observed under the influence of certain stimuli - with the sensation of mouth-watering smells, as well as in the form of food. Often, as a result of increased secretion of salivary glands saliva amount produced by the body significantly increases, in such cases we are talking about hypersalivation. This state is the norm for children aged up to six months. In older children and adults, this phenomenon may be due to different states of the body, including certain diseases.
can be heard in such cases complaintsexcessive amount of saliva in the oral cavity, which causes a constant desire to spit. The survey can be found a marked increase of the secretory activity of the salivary glands, whereby selection observed more than 5 ml of saliva over a ten minute period (it should be noted that normally no more than 2 ml is released in 10 minutes).
Sometimes, the subjective feeling of gainsalivation provoke inflammation in the oral cavity, tongue, injuries, disorders, or swallowing the bulbar nerves. In such cases, the amount of saliva secreted actually within the normal range, while the patient arises a false sense of increased salivation. In addition, such symptoms are observed in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder occurs. Often, excessive activation of the secretory function of salivary glands is accompanied by changes in taste sensations, while there is an increase or decrease in sensitivity, and taste perversion.
Diagnosis and treatment of hypersalivation
If you have complaints about the increase insalivation doctor examines the oral mucosa, said the damage and inflammation in the area. Also carried out a functional analysis to determine the amount allocated to the salivary fluid. Additionally, you may need to consult other experts to determine the causes of hypersalivation. Further actions will be determined from the survey data. Primarily it needs to fix this problem, caused by increased secretion of salivary glands.
In addition, according to the doctor's orders to eliminate hypersalivation may be used:
- drugs that inhibit salivation (e.g.Riabal, Scopolamine and homeopathic remedies). It should be noted that these receiving means can be accompanied by side effects in the form of oral mucosal dryness, tachycardia and visual impairment;
- removal of individual salivary glands surgically (it should be noted that this procedure may lead to disruption of the functioning of the facial nerves and the appearance of facial asymmetry);
- Physical therapy, as well as a facial massage - is used in the case of disorders of neurotic character, and after strokes;
- using botulinum toxin injections can achieve a sufficiently long (about six months) to block excessive salivation;
- Radiation therapy directed at the destruction of the salivary ducts, with subsequent scarring of tissues (in this case there may be a violation of the integrity of the tooth enamel);
- treatment method cryotherapy - As a result of these procedures, there is stimulation of the reflex increased frequency of swallowing saliva.
To prevent the development of hypersalivation, as preventive measures should be carefully observed oral hygiene, and wash hands thoroughly to avoid contamination wormsIf necessary in a timely manner to treat the identified diseases.
Folk remedies for the normalization of increased salivation
If a serious disease is not identified, for the normalization of salivation MipSovetov recommends applying the following traditional methods:
- after meals rinse your mouth (1 tbsp water extract of pepper in a glass of warm boiled water..);
- You can also use rinsing with a tincture of shepherd's purse (for that 25 drops of the liquid should be diluted in 50 ml of water);
- Viburnum berries grind and brew boiling water (2 tbsp. l. of berries per cup of water). Strained infusion can be used for rinsing, as well as a tea to drink;
- In addition, saliva helps to normalize the use of unsweetened tea and water acidulated with lemon juice.