Causes of nerve entrapment
Pinched nerve - a very common disease in which the nerve damage and impaired his functioning.
The causes and factors of the disorders can be:
- traumatic impact and their consequences;
- excessive exercise;
- "Sedentary" lifestyle, accompanied by a lack of physical activity;
- some forms of diseases affecting the joints - osteoarthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis;
- posture disorder, aggravation osteochondrosis, Sciatica, herniated intervertebral discs, protrusion, Muscular hypertonicity, salt deposition;
- Peripheral nerve damage in diabetics;
- hypothermia, and infectious diseases that cause inflammation of the surrounding nerve tissue;
- obesity - Due to the additional stress on the joints due to obesity;
- increase and redistribution of weight with the appearance of puffiness in pregnancy;
- so-called tunnel syndrome wrist and elbow - occurs due to prolonged static load, awkward hand positions. For example, when long-term use of the computer may occur pinched nerve;
- genetic predisposition.
The symptoms of a pinched nerve
In order to identify the causes of a pinched nerve doctorconducts inspection and initial inspection. For the diagnosis of disease by examination prescribed radiography, and in some cases, magnetic resonance imaging, myelography (for diagnosis of pathologies of the spinal column and spinal cord). After further diagnosis prescribe a set of treatments and interventions for the treatment of a specific disease that caused the problem. Depending on the cause of crushing, can be applied to improve products circulatoryTo normalize metabolic processes of the body - the B vitamins, as well as preparations for the restoration of cartilage and bone.
Treatment for a pinched nerve comprises the following steps:
- Pain relief - to relieve painmedications are used as nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs with strong pains - analgesics and corticosteroids in some cases. In addition, prescribers to relieve muscle spasms (muscle relaxants) and procaine blockade. Keep in mind that muscle relaxants act directly on the nervous system and have many side effects - so they can be taken only under conditions that do not require concentration and quick reactions.
- The main stage of treatment - the impact of the causethe disease to eliminate the causes of crushing and restore nerve function. Depending on the intensity of symptoms, extent of damage and the duration of the disease treatment is prescribed to the conduct of drug therapy, and the use of complex physical therapy and chiropractic effects.
In some cases, when serious damage to nerve tissue, surgical intervention may be applied.
If the intensity of the pain slightly reduced and the patient is able to move confidently prescribe a set of measures physiotherapy and manual therapy. Physiotherapy with a pinched nerve is the use of the following methods:
- electrophoresis, Phonophoresis (exposure method or an electric current directly to the ultrasonic zone of pathology), using various medications;
- paraffin applications - thermal procedures in the area of inflammation helps improve blood circulation and lymph drainage, relieve muscle spasms and swelling;
- UHF-therapy (method of influence on the lesion with the help of the electromagnetic field of high and ultra-high frequency) - these procedures provide a powerful protivospazmicheskoe action;
- magnetotherapy - Produces a powerful analgesic and anti-edema effect, improves blood circulation and lymphatic drainage, normalizes metabolism in the affected area.
The following procedure shall be appointed as additional treatment after the removal of entrapped nerve acute symptoms:
- acupuncture and reflexology;
Massage is one of the most effectivemethods to eliminate pain while pinching the nerve. It is important to note that during the period of acute illness massage is contraindicated! The procedure is recommended to professionals with medical education. Therapeutic massage is conducted courses for at least 10-15 procedures. It helps relieve stress, reduce pain and symptoms effectively relax the muscles, including those in the area of the affected nerve.
Therapeutic exercises - like massage, effective after the period of exacerbation. A set of exercises is chosen individually and is aimed at restoring nerve function and muscle.
The remission of the disease can be shown spa treatment. Particularly effective are mud and hydrotherapy treatments.
Please note that treatment entrappednerve in the home requires the prior establishment of the exact cause of the pain. Early diagnosis helps assign appropriate treatment.
At home, to relieve the pain from a pinched nerve, you must follow a number of recommendations:
- If suddenly caught up with a sharp pain in violationmobility, do not try to force through change position and eliminate the cause spasm. It should be possible to lie down in a horizontal position on a flat, hard surface or fix the affected area in a state of rest. We recommend that you as much as you can lie or sit;
- try to immobilize the affected area - fix it with the dressings, bandages and tires supporting corsets. Lifting weights, moving with a resistive load - is contraindicated;
- recommended bed rest and sleep to give your body a chance to recover.
At home, to reduce inflammation and relief edema, Chronic pain can be applied thermal treatments (warm heating pads, compresses) and gentle massage.
We recommend the use of hot and coldcompresses (especially with the use of alternation) - they will help reduce the swelling and normalize the blood circulation. Ice compress must be applied several times a day to the affected area for 10-15 minutes, can be alternated with hot.
In order to relax muscles and to stimulateblood circulation, it will be useful to take a hot bath. A hot shower or a hot water bottle and facilitate pain. It should be noted that the acute pain shows only slight dry heat.
After the acute stage has passed, it will be an effective use of massage and therapeutic exercises.
Moreover, in many types of nerve entrapment efficient swimming (in warm water, in the presence of smaller loads).
Folk remedies of treatment for a pinched nerve
As a means for external use effective compresses or rubbing with the use of tinctures and ointments warming and locally irritant:
- Take half a cup of grated horseradish(You can substitute black radish) and raw potatoes, add two tablespoons of honey. The resulting slurry must be wrapped in a thick cloth. Put a layer of 1.5-2 cm, and put on the affected area, to maintain for an hour.
- Effective will compress with fir oil -when exposed to heat (you can use a heating pad or a heating to make using the bag of salt). In order to avoid irritation, skin under compress be lubricated with oil.
- It can be used for rubbing tincturered pepper, garlic, bay leaf. To make a tincture with a laurel leaf, you need to take a 15-20 leaves, add to 250 ml of vodka, put in a dark place and infuse for three days.
Tincture of barberry with berries: fill a glass bowl with fresh berries of a barberry and top brim medical alcohol, insist two weeks in a dry and warm room. Apply for grinding several times a day, and then wrap up sore spot.
Addition of external preparations for treatment ofpinched nerve will be effective ingestion of healing infusions (leaves of wild strawberry, horsetail, knotweed, and the leaves and berries of barberry). These components must be mixed in equal quantities. Two tablespoons of the collection to fill a thermos, pour two cups of boiling water and infuse for a few hours. Then strain and take into half a cup several times a day.
As a precaution pinched nerve our siterecommends to refrain from over-voltage, avoid hypothermia and stress, normalize their mode of physical activity. Early treatment of a pinched nerve, relapse prevention, and further a healthy lifestyle will keep your health and quality of life for years to come.